Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rotary Tillers

View my Photos
BS
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-03-22          1896

I need info on 3 pt hitch rotary tillers before I buy. Owner comments and experiences would be much appriciated. I have a JD 4200 (20 HP PTO) and will be tilling about 20 gardens a year.I'm thinking of purchasing a Value Built (Befco) 58" tiller, price $900. It is side shift.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rotary Tillers

View my Photos

1999-03-22          1908

check out KING KUTTERS new gear drive tiller, 6 knives on each flange, US made,priced right ....

Rotary Tillers

View my Photos

1999-03-25          2007

I bought a King Kutter a couple of weeks ago, 60", no side shift, paid $1199at Quality Farm & Fleet. Its much heavier that the other - I think it weighs inat 690#. Seems to work pretty well so far. ....

Rotary Tillers

View my Photos
Kirt Harris

1999-04-10          2672

I have a John Deere R324 Rotary Tiller I need a price on the gears for the tiller and availibility. Thank you , Kirt ....

Rotary Tillers

View my Photos
JerryG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

1999-12-01          10529

Can anyone tell me anything about a Long rotary tiller. Are they a good brand? Can you get parts for them? ....

Rotary Tillers

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-02-15          12846

I'm looking at a used 1998 Woods brand GT52 (52") tiller. Very good condition. Seller wants $1100. Good price? Are these good tillers? The only thing I'm wondering about is the fact that this unit does not offset. I'll be using it on my JD4100, which is 45" wide with my R4 tires. Will I have enough overlap without the offset to work close to a fence? Will the JD4100 do ok with this unit? Company literature recommends 25 HP, my 4100 is 20 HP. Seller of course says no problem. ....

Rotary Tillers

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-02-16          12871

Jim, I've never used a Woods tiller, but the company has a good reputation, and the 52" sounds to me like just about an ideal size for your tractor. If you want to get right against a fence, you'll have to be careful, but you usually till at a very slow speed anyway, so I wouldn't think you'll have any problem. ....

Rotary Tillers

View my Photos
Larry Kraus

2000-02-18          12944

I paid $1400 for my GT52 last year when I bought my Kubota B2400. I was happy with the "total package" price including belly mower, loader and rear blade, so I can't say if I could have done better for the tiller alone.

I have no trouble covering my tracks. The rear bar turfs are set to 48". The PTO shaft is not exactly in the center so most of the overlap is to one side. I have tilled to within 3" of a row of pine seedlings, so you should have no trouble with a fence.

As far as power, I had no problem with the Kubota's claimed 18 PTO HP. I do have pretty decent soil to work with - no heavy clay. And there is no reason you could not make a couple of progessively deeper passes. I do have some grapefruit sized rocks, with a few "footballs" mixed in. I know when I've hit one because things start shaking a bit. One of the larger ones actually stalled the tractor when it jammed under the deck.

Overall I'm pleased with the GT52, but I was unhappy the first day I used it. After about an hours work it started making a terrible racket. The entire PTO gearbox had come loose and was bouncing into the hitch tower covering it. Looking closer, I saw there was only one bolt left to hold it on, and its nut was missing. As it turned out, EVERY nut on the entire tiller was loose at least a quarter turn. My first thought was to blame the dealer's setup mechanic, but most of the nuts still had the factory paint intact, so this had to be Woods' fault. The manual suggests checking the bolts after 8 hours use, but I wasn't even close to that. I replace the gear box bolts using nuts with nylon inserts, and tightened all the others. No more trouble in about fifteen hours use. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login