Go Bottom Go Bottom

Disc set for BX-23

View my Photos
logboy33
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-09-15          135205

I am in the market for a set of discs for my Kubota BX-23. Does anyone have good/bad experience or recommendations for this implement? I mostly plan on using them for weed control in fairly sandy soil.

Thanks in advance! -Roger

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Disc set for BX-23

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-09-19          135293

One of the things to be sure of is to use the weight 24" back for you maximum weight of the harrow which is 661# for a max and I'd suggest about 500. The more weight per foot of cut the more it can work. Farmers today in our area work with about 300 to 400 lbs per foot but we don't have that much sand here. ....

Disc set for BX-23

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-09-19          135295

Art,

What "foot" are you referring to in the formula?

Thanks, ....

Disc set for BX-23

View my Photos
Art White

2006-09-19          135297

Per foot of cut of the harrow. That is how we rate them for the job to be done. Some harrows like the lighter three points are under 100 pounds per foot and we have seen them at 1000 pounds per foot for ag applications with hard soil for the big four wheel drive tractors. ....

Disc set for BX-23

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-09-19          135300

Art,

Remember this is a slow southern boy here.

Do you mean per foot of cutting width? That is what I am assuming. If so do you count both front and read gangs or is that weight amount allowing for both gangs? Does depth of cut come into that calculation at any point?

Thank you,

Disc set for BX-23

View my Photos
Art White

2006-09-19          135306

My fault, if it is a five foot wide harrow total and weighs five hundred pounds then it would be one hundred pounds per foot of cut. If it was one thousand pounds and five foot wide it would be two hundred pounds per foot of cut. It does include both gang widths. We have a mix bag of soils here in central NY depending on the valley we might have clay, gravel or muck or near sand. any where from two hundred lbs per foot for finishing discing which uses tighter blade spacing to a minimum of 300 plus for primary tillage with a wider spacing. Clay of coarse takes more then sand to open to any depth at all. ....

Disc set for BX-23

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-09-22          135367

Art,

Thank you. Good to know. ....

Disc set for BX-23

View my Photos
Art White

2006-09-22          135386

One step further, a spacing of nine inches will give a rougher surface to travel over later which is why a seven and a half inch is for finishing although they might catch more stones. On larger blade diameter such as used on cutting disc harrows they go to a twenty four inch diameter minimum and will have a ten inch or larger up to about twelve inches with a total diameter possible of thirty six inches. Disc harrows are the heaviest compactor of soil used for crop production by farmers, they even exceed the moldboard plow. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login