Go Bottom Go Bottom

stone vs concrete floors

View my Photos
BenoBurns
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-07-31          195600

I am looking into building a 24x40 pole barn for storing my equipment in, i.e. ford 8n tractor with implements, atv's, ridding mower and basic storage use. My question would be, pros and cons, stone vs. concrete floors.

Thanks for the advise,

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

stone vs concrete floors

View my Photos
80sDweeb

2016-07-31          195601

Keeping out mice and other critters is easier with concrete. I suppose you could also use concrete just around the walls and at the base of the overhead door, with gravel floors inside, but many of the cheaper gravel floor barns I've seen have more gaps and openings to seal to keep the critters out. Mice can destroy things with only the tiniest access. Once my lawnmower engine seized, turned out a mouse next under the fan shroud caused it to overheat. I had no idea there was a problem until too late.

Good luck, and make sure you can close up your barn tight, whichever way you decide to go.

Scott in Penfield NY ....

stone vs concrete floors

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-08-01          195603

Here moisture would be an issue but seldom do we see a stone floor under a shelter as stone is not a local product. If concrete here does not have vapor barrier under it, moisture is still major issue. Other is if you need to use a jack or such the concrete is much better foundation and sooner or later machines such as saws, presses have a way of showing up where equipment is stored. Now if you have nice work shop already forget that one. kt ....

stone vs concrete floors

View my Photos
minimac
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-10-27          195909

It all depends. If you think you might eventually want to remove the pole barn, concrete will not be your best choice.

Otherwise gravel can be a real hassle in so many ways, just drop a nut or washer on gravel and try to find it! Ans as posted jacking anything up to work on is unsafe.

So if is just the cost, concrete is worth it as long as you plan on making it permanent. ....

stone vs concrete floors

View my Photos
Alakey07

2018-04-26          197709

I piled the usual wooden floor onto the frame which was welded in with the reinforcement and poured with concrete. It's been 8 years now and it's going to be a hundred more. ....

Link:   Mig Welder Review

stone vs concrete floors

View my Photos
Christopher1

2018-08-03          197898

Economical. The cost of concrete floors is very low, about $2 to $6 per square foot to polish a plain gray slab, giving it a lustrous sheen. The concrete's tonal differences, subtle cracks and aggregates take on a stonelike, natural feel. More elaborate finishes cost around $5 to $8 per square foot ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login