Go Bottom Go Bottom

Pole Barn Building Materials List and Plans

View my Photos
MrSimple
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-01-21          188714

My father and I are building a 16x16 pole barn with a 8' over hang for my wifes horses. I have put together a building plan to the best of my ability. I am looking for some guidance and advice. We are using sheet metal siding that we already have. The door and windows are not in the plan at this point. Aside from that any advice on anything we are missing or quantities of supplies I have listed would be appreciated.

Trusses 12 $40.00 per $480.00

Cement 5 yards $88.25 per yard ($483.63) 16 x 24 / 12 x 4 / 27 = 4.74 yards of cement
4 inches thick $15 delivery

Shingles 13 bundles $25.00 per bundle $325.00
404.8 sq ft / 33 sq ft per bundle

Roofing Nails 5 pound box 1 $9.00

Framing Nails 5 pound box 2 $13.89 per $27.78

#15 Felt Underlayment 1 $17.98 Covers 432 sq ft

½ inch 4'x8' OSB – Roof 13 sheets $11.57 per $150.41

½ inch 4'x8' OSB – Sides 16 sheets $11.57 per $185.12

4”x6”x12' - Posts 11 $24.77 per $272.47

2”x4”x16' – Stringers 21 $7.79 per $163.59

2”x12”x16' – Headers 8 $33.63 per $269.04

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-01-25          188737

You left out any provision for electrical and any plumbing for water etc. Doors and other hardware. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2014-01-25          188740

Dennis;

Check the price of 5/8 OSB for the roof at least, 1/2 inch is like nailing into the side of a cardboard box.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
Woodie

2014-01-25          188744

Don't forget staples to do a quick tack down of the felt. Also the "start strip"(I forget the other title for it like 'J' channel etc) at the bottom for your steel siding. Also check your elevation of the site to make sure water don't run there - may need a few loads of fill=$$ ... Not sure about how your local govt entity handles such projects if you need a building permit-that can be a few $$..... just my .00002 cents worth ....

View my Photos
PoleBarnsNY

2014-01-25          188749

Horses are well known to kick thru steel siding and rip their legs wide open resulting in thousands of dollars in vet bills.

A liner of thick oak or southern yellow pine is an absolute must to protect the animals. Torn steel will rip a horses legs wide open.

It is also common to side horse barns with board and batten hemlock, larch or white pine. We prefer hemlock and larch to white pine for lower maintenance costs.

Cement, more formerly known as portland cement, is an ingredient of concrete. Concrete is a mix of cement, aggregate (gravel), sand and water. What you need is concrete.

You might be farter ahead to use the steel on the roof saving plywood, felt, shingles, etc. and using board and batten for siding.

The trim at the bottom of the steel is called rat guard and/or base trim because it closes up the corrugations in the steel so "rats" and other critters can not enter thru the corrugations at the bottom of the steel which are about the size of a rat. rate guard isn't really relevant for a horse barn since their are so many other areas to get in like under the doors.

Using J channel there would trap water and result in premature edge rust of the steel

View my Photos
adamhberkey

2014-01-25          188750

I'm in the Northwest USA. Lumber strength may vary, but you could eliminate the trusses and span the 16' with 2x8 purlins (Doug Fir reference) on no more than 21" centers. 2x6 could do it on 12" centers. With posts on 8' centers, you could use 2x12 rafters just on the end walls, for the purlins to attach to. The idea being to open up the area inside that small building by eliminating the bottom chords of the trusses.

See the photo. This is a 16'x16' that I did with a 50lb snow load in the Blue Mountains of Washington state in November of last year. I used a glulam bean spaning the ridge and came off with 2x6 rafters with 2x3 nailer strips to fast the roof metal to. Since you're using 7/16" OSB you wouldn't need the nailer strips. ....

Link:   Pomeroy, WA Job

View my Photos
Woodie

2014-01-25          188752

PoleBarnsNY-
Thanks for the appropriate title 'rat guard' strip- thats what i was trying to think of and I was by no means suggesting J channel be used. I merely was going for terminolgy example. My self, if i was doing this project, I'd do as my step-father-inlaw did for his ponies- concrete block building a mini hay loft above, size apprx 12x18 w/10ft leanto. Definitely no worries about kicking walls out :-) ....

View my Photos
adamhberkey

2014-01-25          188753

Barn without trusses ....

Picture Link
Barns Pole Barns Pole Barn Building Materials List and Plans

View my Photos
hardwood

2014-01-26          188761

A steel roof is OK excerpt for the frost melting off in the morning soon as the sun hits it. Sometimes it almost seems like it rains inside, instant wet bedding and a pneumonia harbor, without good fresh air intake.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
charlieK

2014-01-27          188775

I can attest to the roof leaking--one of our metal pole barns is insulated--it has no leaks(water dripping from frost thawing) but the other one really does drip water and sometimes alot ....

View my Photos
MrSimple

2014-01-28          188781

Thanks for all of your advice. It has helped me greatly. I cannot wait till spring to start the project.

Would you recommend 4' on center or 8' on center for 16'x24' building posts? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2014-01-28          188789

8 ft. oc. has pretty much been the standard around here.
4 ft. oc. can't hurt if you are going to have horses, hogs, or big cattle pushing against it.

Frank.

View my Photos
hinomotohere

2014-02-17          188965

After a brief glance of your list, it appears to me that you're going to run out of nails long before you're finished framing. You only listed framing nails and roofing nails. I don't think you're going to like driving 16d nails in , what 20, sheets of osb. I recommend 10d for that. You'll need cut, fluted, or powder actuated nails, masonary screws, or similar to attach the bottom plate to the concrete slab. I'd recommend pressure treated 2x's where wood and concrete touch eachother for a number of reasons. It's required by building codes, you don't want to replace rotten wood later, and with horses you know there will be water which leads us back to the issue of not wanting to replace rotten lumber in 10 years. I didn't carefully read your list but the items I'm writing about certainly grabbed my attention. ....

View my Photos
taogden
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-02-17          188975

I noticed there is no reenforcement for the concrete, or that your plans have indication of a footer. As you don't indicate and area of the country, frost heave could be an issue.
As a horse use, do not put concrete in the areas the horses will be, their shoes are very slick on concrete, do not use tin on the side the horses will be it will cut them up over time or damage their feet. The alternative is to put a footer board over the tin so they cannot get into it.
If you are in northern climes, try making the overhang 10 or 12 feet. Make sure the ground slope is away from the building and stalls even if you have to raise the whole site. without the drainage you will have the problem my neighbor does, their posts are rotting off and they used treated lumber and wrapped it with tar paper to protect the wood but the placement of the barn left water running down the west side and horse urine and manure make a strong solution to begin decay of the wood.
I would not use roofing nails on tin roofing, I would use roofing screws to attach tin, your roof will peal off in a strong wind. On the OSB, use ring shank nails, same problem as the tin. ....

View my Photos
jameswhitset

2014-09-29          191133

I have a 50x60 pole barns building and we put metal over shingles on roof. It last for a long time and no leak issues due to foam insulation. ....

Link:   pole barns colorado springs

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login