Go Bottom Go Bottom

arsenic in my water

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-21          94059

Wondering if there is anyone with experience dealing with
arsenic filters for household water.
What to buy ? what not to buy?
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

arsenic in my water

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-21          94065

Grinder; I haven't had any experience with asneic filters, but likely your county extension would have some info, and I think there is a national water well asoc. somewhere, you might try a web search. Best of luck, Frank. ....

arsenic in my water

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-21          94068

Reverse Osmosis. It is the only way to go. Once you learn the ground rules for pre-treatment it is quite easy to maintain.

Do you need drinking water or a whole house system? ....

arsenic in my water

View my Photos
grinder

2004-08-23          94147

I was thinking whole house, per sink prices are from 500.00
to 1300.00 vs 2500.00 to 5000.00 for the whole house. quite a price variation? I understand the jury is still out on bathing in it.( for children anyway).
If I do just the kitchen sink then we are brushing are teeth in the kitchen. My seven year old can sit in the tub for an hour.
Still researching.
Just a note for all, a standard water test does not include arsenic.(here in Maine that is.) arsenic is a cause of kidney and bladder cancer.
Boiling it to cook in it just concentrate's the arsenic. ....

arsenic in my water

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-23          94167

There-in lies a dilemma. If you run a whole house system you have to factor in laundry, bathing and other high volume uses.

If I were building a house from scratch I would run two different systems, based on usage. You still might be able to do that if your house is one level and has a crawl space.

My drinking water RO system reduces a soft water, 950 PPM dissolved solid feed to 14 PPM. That is nearly perfectly pure water.... which is good... but it requires plastic piping so that it won't leach minerals out of metal pipes.

I have never studied the issue of arsenic absorption through the skin, so I can't comment on the bathing issue. It is a very large molecule compared to what I know the skin can absorb, so the uptake would be limited at worst. Is the some information you have on this issue? It would be interesting to read.

Back to the whole house concept.... there are two ways to approach it. One is to design a system to meet the demand on a minute by minute basis.

The other way is to size the machine to meet the needs based on a 24 hour running time and keep a day or a day and a half of water in storage as a buffer.

Back when I did this stuff for a living, there was a spin off system called Ultra-filtration. It would do the heavy metals but pass more sodium and small molecular weight stuff. If they are still making such systems it could be a less expensive option. ....

arsenic in my water

View my Photos
grinder

2004-08-23          94209

Drankin
I will see if I can locate that info and try to post it.
I'm told that here in Maine it is common practice to by-pass
your outside faucet's, as well there is a by -pass on the unit. I don't think running down cellar everytime I run the cloths washer. Thanks for pointing that out. Perhaps a by-pass permanently plumbed for the washer is in order with a whole house system?
Thanks for the comments. ....

arsenic in my water

View my Photos
grinder

2004-08-24          94272

Drankin
This is Maine's state gov. web where I read my info.
Go to more aesenic info.

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login