Go Bottom Go Bottom

Internatioal cub lowboy 154

View my Photos
154cub
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-05-16          183563

ok i have a 154 cub lowboy that has a 5' mowing deck, I can drive it and i can engage the the blades but i can not do them both without it bogging down and at times die. It seems that the governor is not kicking in so i bypassed the governor to see if the governor was the problem and it still does the same thing. Now i do not have this problem if i am driving it in any gear or if i am stopped with the blades going. I have rebuilt the carb and that did not change the problem at all. if anyone now what might be causing the problem please let me know. i have hit a brick wall and can not think of anything else.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2012-05-17          183564

I had a similar combination, a redular Cub with the same little 14 hp. engine as your Loboy and a Woods 60 inch deck.
The result was that even a well tuned engine just didn't have enough horsepower to provide forward motion plus cut grass at the same time.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
154cub

2012-05-17          183565

well the thing did not have a problem last year at all. All my pulleys are free and move very easly. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2012-05-17          183566

That's good that it worked last year and I hope you get things going again.
I was just using my experience as a reference.
I sold that Cub along with the belly mower and since bought a different Cub as a basket case then overhauled it to new status stem to stern. Now comes the part where I fall down, it needs a paint job, but I'm not a painter.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-05-17          183567

First welcome to Tractorpoint.

So it worked for you last year but not this year. Guessing this is the first use of the year so less think outside the box some.

Has the tractor sat with gas or rather ethanol in it all winter with little use? Could it be there is some damage to a fuel line or clogged jet cutting fuel supply? Could the gas have water in it or be seperated giving you weak fuel?

Could there be mice or a wasp nest in the air intake restricting the air flow? Could the air filter be dirty and need cleaning or replacing which ever is proper?

No idea how the mower is driven but there is no way to connect so the blades are running backwards is there or have you installed blades and possible they are on backwards or wrong blades?

Air pressure in tires are correct so tires not bogging take more hp to move tractor and wheels on the mower if so equiped also roll easy.

Sure a brake are fully releasing and not giving some drag to one or even both? ....

View my Photos
154cub

2012-05-17          183568

fuel is new,, carb has been rebuilt, air air way is free of dirt etc..., the mower deck is the same as it was last year and works fine when im sitting still. I don't know if it has something to do with linkage or what. I'm do not know alot about this stuff so any help is apprecated. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-05-18          183575

Okay back to basics:

Did the mower deck come off after last used last year? I have no idea what the hookup looks like but is it possible to install it any way other than correct?

Can you lift the deck clear of the grass and run it? If so have you tried to see if with the deck clear can you run the deck and drive at the same time? If so does it handle that okay or does it stall then also?

If it handles that okay then it would seem there is issue with its cutting.

Have there been any changes to the deck since you last used it, such as change the blades? If yes look there for issue with blades such as on backwards. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2012-05-22          183610

They never had any extra power and with only three speeds to use normally unless creeeper gear equipped low or second were the only two gears to use.

I'd think that you still have a carb problem. ....

View my Photos
Cyrus55

2012-05-30          183688

Having had "fits" with my buddy's Cub and looking at everything, as you have, I FINALLY changed spark plugs and that was what it needed. Really had me fooled as it started great, idled great, but no power.
Now that I think about it, I've run into this Cub problem twice and plugs was the answer both times! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-05-30          183692

Help my memory old worn plugs can give better mileage but less power right as the gap grows.

Good for you.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login