Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hydraulic steering problem

View my Photos
816newton
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-09-15          180394

I have a 1988 Ford 5900 tractor who has been giving me a fit for months. Replaced the steering motor, and the shim that snaps in the hydraulic pump every time I think I have it fixed, and had cylinder checked this week and its ok. Not sure what is causing the problem. The lines are getting hot and the wheels wont turn.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-09-15          180395

Not necessarily about your machine in particular, but generally, if hydraulic lines are getting hot, and what they feed doesn't work, there's a blockage.

I'd go through the components one at a time and see if you can nail down the culprit.

Maybe a bit of background on how & when the problem started would help us help you. Four sentences doesn't tell us much.

Welcome to the group.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
816newton
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-09-15          180396

Thanks for the welcome. The first problem was the cylinder when it blew and hydraulic fluid shot across the field. So that was replaced. When the steering was not fixed I figured it was the steering motor and that was replaced. There was some confusion with what lines went where after the shim pin broke in the pump. Replaced the shim. Thought it was fixed until we turned the wheel and wheels turned but then would not move back. We kicked the tires for a few minutes and then disconnected the lines from the cylinder. Cranked her back up and turned the wheel and fluid shoots out so I know the cylinder is getting fluid. Took the cylinder to have checked and it is ok. So I still don't have a clue. We checked all the lines for blockages previously. Hope this helps. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login