Go Bottom Go Bottom

Honda 6522 smoking at idle

View my Photos
rpuffd
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-26          104954

I recently purchased a Honda 6522 and now have second thoughts. It smokes a bit at idle, and only at idle. Unit has 520hrs, engine is clean as a whistle inside and out and runs great but I believe the smoking at idle is not normal. I also have a Satoh BUCK that does not smoke at all, ever, that is what I am comparing it too. Smoke gets better once warm but compared to the BUCK, it smokes a lot. Color is a deep dark gray with a slight tint of blue in there. Should I be worried ? The unit so far has not burned a drop of oil and there is no blo by at all on the filler cap.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
pbar12

2005-01-30          105273

I also have a 6522 4wd with loader. It smokes like you describe and goes away when working. Mine has nearly 2000 hrs. and I love this tractor. Tip: If you haven't already, fill those rear tires with anti-freeze and water (safe a/f, of course). Makes a world of difference in scraping and using the front loader. I didn't fill mine for the longest time since I thought that tubless tires couldn't be filled. Started thinking about and didn't see any reason why they couldn't be.

Phil B. ....

View my Photos
rpuffd

2005-02-01          105368

Phil, thanks for the info. I guess if I can get 2K hours out of this tractor, I will be very happy as my annual usage is less than 50hrs. Since it seems to not be burning any oil, I will assume it is simply getting too much fuel at idle. I have talked to some diesel folks and based on what they say, that seems to be the case. It runs FOREVER on a tank so I wont worry for now. I only hope it never breaks in a bad way, it seems that finding parts will be an issue. Sure is built like a tank though. Again, thanks for your input. ....

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-01          105372

Who made these tractors and for what years? I had never heard of a diesel powered Honda compact tractor. ....

View my Photos
pbar12

2005-02-01          105374

I believe Honda was in the U.S. tractor market from the mid to late 80's to around 1996. They decided to not sell tractors in the U.S. any longer. I've heard rumors that liability was the biggest factor (probably still hurting after the whole 3 wheeler ATC lawsuits back in the 80's). I'm sure Honda didn't make the diesel engine but cannot find out who made it. The tractors are really nice, lots of power and reliable as heck.

Phil B. ....

View my Photos
rpuffd

2005-02-02          105401

Actually, I am pretty darn sure Honda made the entire tractor, engine included. I have never seen a more over engineered compact tractor in my life. The engine for instance is an OVERHEAD CAM diesel, ever heard of that in a compact tractor berfore? , not likely. Everything about the design of that engine down to the all alluminum valve cover(no cheap thin metal here) is all Honda in my opinion. It is 22hp and runs like an Accord. ....

View my Photos
pbar12

2005-02-03          105433

The reason I feel certain that Honda did not build the diesel in their 6522 tractor is that just this year Honda celebrated making their first diesel ever. This got a lot of fanfare. This is not to say that Honda didn't have the engine built to their specifications but I find it hard to believe that they would design and tool up to build an engine that was used in just one of thier tractors.

The Honda manual says the engine is a GD1250. If anyone has info on this engine, we'd like to hear.

Phil B. ....

View my Photos
rpuffd

2005-02-03          105438

Phil, that is intersting, I guess I just assumed Honda made the engine because an Overhead cam diesel is major over kill for a compact tractor, which is kind of Honda's way of doing things. I sure hope someone out thier can answer this question with come degree of accuracy. Either way, it is a very nice engine. ....

View my Photos
rpuffd

2005-02-03          105439

Phil, did some quick googlin on the DG1250, seems they also use this engine in thier big bad boy generators, and most of them not sold in the usa. I also thought of one other thing that might strengthen your theory, the shop manual for the 6522 does not include ANYTHING about the engine, except routine filter changes etc. They detail to the nut, bolt and washer all other aspects of the tractor in the manual except the engine. ....

View my Photos
pbar12

2005-02-03          105447

Funny, right after I posted, I did the same thing. We were probably looking at the same two pages of results.

I had one of the fuel injection pump bolts come loose. The problem is they are 5 sided bolt heads! No one has the tool. Finally got it loose and replaced it with a cap screw. Strange. The 6522 is a great tractor. I'm looking for a Honda backhoe for mine.

Phil B. ....

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-03          105462

I believe they are lambardine. Not to be confused with Lamborghini. ....

View my Photos
rpuffd

2005-02-03          105473

Phil, good luck on your search for a backhoe, mine came with one, not something I really wanted or needed but that is the way it was.I figure I will use it somday, I have taken it off for now as it hangs out the back a bit and makes it hard to traverse grades without it scraping the turf. You might try Mark Gradowski(sp?), he has many ad's for attachments for these tractors, perhaps he can help. Still waiting to hear if Honda makes the engine in these tractors. ....

View my Photos
pbar12

2005-02-04          105478

Well, if you are on the west coast and ever want to sell the backhoe, let me know. I've contacted Mark G. and he said he didn't have any factory attachments for the 6522.

I'll check the Lambardine lead - thanks.

Phil B. ....

View my Photos
rpuffd

2005-02-04          105484

Would that ba LOMBARDINI ?? ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-02-04          105504

What ever not sure of the spelling. ....

View my Photos
rpuffd

2005-02-04          105520

I sent them an e-mail, they replied they do NOT make the Honda engine. I am guessing it is really a Honda engine at this point. ....

View my Photos
rangiora

2005-02-07          105699

I am interested just how hard do you work this unit, do you baby it along? How quickly does the smoke disappear once you have it up to operating temp? ....

View my Photos
pbar12

2005-02-08          105701

I typically work mine all day long about 6 times a month. Lots of full loads in the bucket (moving dirt and DG) and lots of box blade work. Most of the work is on severe inclines at my cabin in the mountains. Always in 4wd and typically grunting along in low/low then low/high for jockeying back and forth. I definitely do not baby this or any tractor. I got rid of an old 8n because even though I loved it, it just required too much babying to get a days work out of it. ....

View my Photos
rpuffd

2005-02-08          105715

I have been told by others I need to run the tractor REAL hard for a day and it may clear up. I must admit, I guess I do baby the beast. Never really go over 2K RPM and let it idle for a bit before turning it off, mostly in 2WD. Once it does reach operating temp according to the guage, the smoke does get much better, and it never smokes when runnig above idle. But even at operating temp according to the guage, I can rest my hand on the valve cover no problem. I am just comparing this too my other tractor, a Mitsubishi BUCk that never smokes at all unless under severe load. Perhaps that is my error, all engines are not created equal. For the most part, it seems to be a very nice unit, I am a big Honda fan and have faith in thier reputation, that is why I bought the tractor. Only time will tell at this point. ....

View my Photos
pbar12

2005-02-08          105754

I am no diesel mechanic but I've been told by two of them that blue smoke means air is being sucked into the fuel injections somewhere along the way. Never stopped to think about this much. As I said, mine smokes a bit on start up and then stops and runs like a top. With nearly 2,000 hours on this machine, I do not have any problems with brakes, tranny, engine, etc. You need to lube the gear selector handles every once in a while but that's my only complaint. ....

View my Photos
rpuffd

2005-02-12          105979

FYI in case anyone cares, you can get the GD1250 shop manual via links on hondapowerequipment.com. Seems the Engine and Frame shop manuals are seperate from the main shop manual, you need all 3 apparantly to complete the set. Says that right in the prefrace of the main shop manual, all I had to do was RTFM. ....

View my Photos
Jonmarkp

2005-03-28          108928

I have a Honda 6522 with 69 hours, a Curtis cab and 57" two-stage, front snowblower if anyone is looking for one. 4WD, 22 HP diesel. It's like new. 978-768-7165. Ask for Jon. ....

View my Photos
rpuffd

2005-03-28          108930

Jon, I think you and I bounced around a few e-mails when you had your 6522 posted on e-bay. I would love to have a unit with low hours like that but it was bad timing, I had just purchased the on in this post. Dont suppose you would care to comment on the amount of smoke your tractor puts out when cold and at an idel would you ? Thanks in advance. ....

View my Photos
Jonmarkp

2005-03-28          108933

Hi Rpuffd - Could be. I had the tractor on e-Bay recently for a few days until I was suspended for something they wouldn't say lol. My tractor smokes like any other diesel, but not at start-up as you say and it's not blue or white. Does it really belch smoke when you gas it or under sudden heavy load?...and thanks. ....

View my Photos
rpuffd

2005-03-28          108934

Jon, it is not white or blue, it is kind of a deep dark gray. It ONLY smokes at idle when cold, if you raise the RPM's the smoke goes away. I am comparing this to my other tractor which does not smoke ever, cold, hot, or in between. Just seems odd to me. It does not burn any oil and at this point, I am just going to live with it. I was just wondering what another Honda owner had to say about the amount of smoke from thier unit so I could get some idea of whether this is normal or not. ....

View my Photos
Jonmarkp

2005-03-28          108937

I haven't noticed anything different about the Honda smoking. It smokes as soon as you start it and doesn't stop even when warm. Perhaps it smokes more upon startup but it's nothing I've noticed. All I can tell you is it's no different than any other tractor. Hope that helps. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login