Go Bottom Go Bottom

254 runs hot

View my Photos
staffile
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-10          148089

I have a 254 it runs hot. If I run it above an low idle it over heats. I've cleaned the radiator, added an electric fan and moved the battery from in front of the radiator.

Any ideas??

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

254 runs hot

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-11-10          148090

How about the water pump? Could it be freezing up just past idle? Could you have a loose belt that starts slipping a higher RPM? ....

254 runs hot

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-10          148091

Well, the obvious things include a bad pressure cap, a bad water pump, bad thermostat, bad head gasket, loose fan belt, misaligned fan shroud. But far more common with Chinese tractors is a clogged radiator. Chaff/chad compacts between the fins, air can no longer pass through. Worst place is behind the battery. In severe cases, the radiator has to be removed for cleaning. Compressed air is the best, pressure washers can cause permanent damage.

When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and stick your finger in. Any oil on your finger indicates a bad head gasket. Also on a cold engine, water will settle to the bottom of the oil pan. Loosen the drain plug almost all the way - just so you get a drip or two. If water comes out first, it's another sign of a bad head gasket.

//greg// ....

254 runs hot

View my Photos
blueskyfarm

2008-01-12          150183

My DF254 will get hot when I'm brushhogging, but after letting it idle for a while it will cool down and usually stays well within the desired temp range. I was wondering, where you put the battery to get it away from the radiator?
I just got an electric fan from a car and was going to make the same arrangement.

Steve ....

254 runs hot

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-12          150184

Not much can be done about the battery, but if your air filter housing is up there - I might be able to help.

Also - the fins behind the radiator get clogged up with chaff and dust. If that area's not kept constantly cleaned out, the coolant goes back into the engine too hot. I use a furnace filter up front, and clean with compressed air from the backside. But if compressed air doesn't do it, you'll have to pull the radiator and clean it off the tractor.

//greg// ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login