Go Bottom Go Bottom

I just bought a 25hp 4x4

View my Photos
fishmaycraft
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-02          110608

Well, I just purchased a new 25hp from the Northern Tool store in Raleigh NC on Sat. morning. Took it home and ran the bush-hog all afternoon, it did GREAT!!
Went out and tried to start the tractor Sunday, starter won't engage. Worthy of mention is that they replaced the silinoid before I left the store on Sat, because it wasn't acting right and the new one they put on took some tapping and messing with for it to work right. I'm now waiting to see if they will give me another silinoid to install or if I'm going to have to bring the whole tractor back to them to fix. It ought to be fun trying to get it back on the trailer while it isn't running.
All in all I like the tractor, I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Anyone else have a similar problem with the Nortrac?

Fish

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

I just bought a 25hp 4x4

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-02          110621

Yup. Had JM254 (same tractor - different decals) that did the same thing when the temp was below 45F. Colder it got, worse the engagement problem. Been mentioned over and over in these Chinese tractor forums, with no definite resolve. I fought mine for two winters before finally just getting rid of the tractor. But many 254 owners never experience the problem.

That said, the problem is VERY likely to be chronic. I'd ask the store to replace the tractor for one WITHOUT that problem, cuz you're likely NEVER to get it fixed to your satisfaction.

//greg// ....

I just bought a 25hp 4x4

View my Photos
fishmaycraft

2005-05-02          110623

I just got off the phone with the district service manager and he is sending me a new starter and silinoid. It should get to me in 1 or 2 days and I'll put it on and see what I've got.

Fish ....

I just bought a 25hp 4x4

View my Photos
corvetteguy

2005-05-04          110684

Sounds like replacing both the starter
and the solenoid should solve your
problem. If it is the wiring components
It would act up on the new set. You
will wind up with a spare starter anyway ....

I just bought a 25hp 4x4

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-04          110686

Let me clarify. The Jinma starter/solenoid is replaced as a unit. No such thing as being able to replace solenoid only - via the Jinma parts chain.

After a thorough teardown and cleaning of the OE starter, battery and cable upgrades, a relocated battery ground, a replacement ignition switch, and TWO REPLACEMENT STARTERS, the problem still existed. The only remedy was to apply heat to the starter motor case - which I did with a KAT's magnetic heater.

The ultimate solution was to get rid of the tractor, thus my suggestion to get a replacement tractor from Northern - one that DOESN'T exhibit this starter problem.

//greg// ....

I just bought a 25hp 4x4

View my Photos
fishmaycraft

2005-05-27          111611

Just an update,
I received the starter in the mail and installed it in no time. Since then she works like a charm. Here's hoping it keeps up!!
Fish ....

I just bought a 25hp 4x4

View my Photos
richardx

2005-08-23          115319

I got a northern tool jinma 254,,I got over 400 hours on it and it has never failed to start quick,,summer or winter,,knock on my head,,thingy ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login