Go Bottom Go Bottom

cold weather problem

View my Photos
pamela2682
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-01-03          167877

I started the tractor and it would pick up the blade and move backwards. Then it just stopped and wouldn't do anything. It will start but won't move or lift the blade. What do I need to heat?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

cold weather problem

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-01-03          167878

First you'll need to tell us what model, year (helps), how many hours (helps), what trans --hydro versus gear, outside temp, what things you have done to look into it---checked fluid level, changed filters, used the right fluid, etc., etc. ....

cold weather problem

View my Photos
pamela2682

2010-01-03          167879

It is a New Holland TC29, year 2000, 600 hrs, Hydro, temp is 15 and has been there for a week, Ran tractor three days ago moving snow, all fluids ok, light on box below the oil dipstick, fluids are new and correct. I feel like something is frozen but I don't know what. The talked about the Hydrolic box in my manual and said it was beneath the oil dipstick. There is a large area where I add the trans/hydrolic fluid, should I put a light on that? ....

cold weather problem

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-01-03          167881

The hydro and 3pt are separate sytems with sep pumps but use the same oil supply which is the transmission and axle housing.

The only mechanical link before the two pumps is the clutch and gears. Is it possible there is ice in the clutch housing?

Just putting a light on either will not offer enough heat. I would get. A tarp and make an enclosed tent over it. Use snow or wood to hold down the sides to the ground. Then use a forced air heater to heat the tractor under the tent--take all proper precautions not overheat or burn anything up (or down LOL ). It will take 3-4 hours to thaw it out if that is the problem--no idea if it ice related. I put a tent over over my diesel truck when the fuel lines froze. Worked great! ....

cold weather problem

View my Photos
pamela2682

2010-01-03          167883

I will try the tarp idea. the tractor is kept in the barn. I have never had this problem before. I will put the tractor in the garage next time the temp gets this cold for so long. Thanks for the help. ....

cold weather problem

View my Photos
Murf

2010-01-03          167885

Other than the good advice you have already gotten, there is just one more possibilty I would add. There is a chance you have fuel related problems. Especially if you still have fuel in the tractor from the summer.

Try some "Power Service 911" or something similar. Diesel has wax and other stuff that turns into solids not liquids in cold weather.

Best of luck

cold weather problem

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-01-03          167887

Murf if I read it right he says it starts (and runs) but won't move. I doubt based on that fuel is the problem LOL ....

cold weather problem

View my Photos
Art White

2010-01-04          167893

if no hyraulics work and the tractor starts and runs then there are two potential things left.

The drive to the pumps broke, unlikely but possibly.

The second is that there is still moisture in the system leaving water in the pick-up area that turned to ice.

It seems that the second one would also be unlikely do to the factory spec fresh NH fluids and filters.

If it is still water, then a magnetic heater on the transmission would or should do it. I from time to time also use HD heat guns or a old hair dryer on the lines and hoses. (my wife gets made when I used her's) It is not a good idea to run it like this as the pump is running dry and would ruin it.
To check the oil on the did stick, has the color of the oil changed since it's been installed? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login