Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tc 33d PTO won t engage after chain fell off snowblower

View my Photos
SUPERSTEER
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-11          159307

The main drive chain fell off the sprocket of my front mount 60" snowblower., Now The front or rear pto will not run,I checked switches, levers and linkage move freely, SHEAR PIN for both pto's??? In rear end ??? HELP!! Tractor still moves [ hydro] Front hydraulics still work, Any help would be appreciated!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-11          159309

Supersteer,

After the chain fell off, did you move the tractor indoors for the repair? If so, was the building heated?

A lot of times a problem like this shows up when the snow melts and then refreezes, creating a situation in which the levers cannot be fully moved into position.

I'd look for ice blocking the travel of the levers and or linkages. If you can't find the problem, park your tractor in a heated building overnight, allowing the ice and snow to melt completely. This might solve the problem.

Joel ....

View my Photos
SUPERSTEER

2009-01-11          159313

Thanks for the reply, I keep it in my heated garage, Thats where its been since the "situation" 5 hrs, I wish it was that simple. I really think somthing happened in the pto drive, I need a schematic of the system to see what is where........Or if anyone has any more Ideas!!! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-11          159316

Joel's on track. I have a 33D too and they're fairly straight forward and simple mechanically. Most likely the linkages are froze up. Though there are safety interlock switches for the PTO's, none keep them from engaging. However, they do keep it from starting. Another thing to look for and keep in mind later is the cotter pins and linkage pins sometimes break and fall out. This happens about every 18 mos. on my rear aux. valve control lever as I use it a lot.

If you need more info I have the complete service manual. I don't have access to a scanner or fax though, so it'll have to be in Q&A on the site's posting. ....

View my Photos
SUPERSTEER

2009-01-11          159317

Both pto shifter's are moving freely with roll pins in good condition, I could see if only the mid didn't work but niether the mid or rear do anything. What drives the pto's after the clutch, You can engage and disengage the HST with the clutch so it must be from the clutch back somewhere.Can you look at what drives the pto's? Thanks! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-11          159319

Basically power comes from the clutch, to an idler gear riding on hydro motor shaft, then down to a gear which turns a long jack shaft going all the way back to the rear PTO area. A gear on the end of the jack shaft turns a sliding gear riding on a short rear PTO shaft. Power to the mid PTO is redirected from the rear PTO forward to a long jack jack shaft with a sliding gear on it, which turns a sliding gear on the mid PTO shaft.

The long jacksahft from the hydro motor area back to the rear PTO area is connected by a splined coupling for assembly. This may be the problem if it or the shaft is stripped or broken.

I would still check that all outside linkage is working not just that is has roll pins etc. Using a mechanic's stethoscope or short piece of plastic tubing against your ear and against the side of the axle casing/housing you might be able to hear or feel the sliding gears move if you can have someone operate the levers with the machine off. If you don't feel or hear any movement, rotate the rear PTO by hand to misalign the sliding gers a bit to perhaps make some noise as the teeth try to engage. This won't tell you anything but that the gears are working.

The next step is you'll have to separate the tractor axle and trans housing and go deeper. I wouldn't consider it without buying a service manual as there a multitude of parts like needle bearings, and the particular parts stackup. I paid $65 on eBay but I hear they're under $200 for the whole binder set of manuals.

View my Photos
SUPERSTEER

2009-01-11          159326

Thanks for the input!!It is definately an internal problem, I found a schematic of the 2 PTO'S , I think it may be the splined coupler on the main shaft that powers both PTO'S. Blower is off and loader is back on With my custom 8' fisher blade mounted on the bucket. So the 716B Front-mount Snow Blower (60-inch) is for sale. $1950.00.and if I cant get the PTO'S going I'll be selling a 3 point like new 60" new holland finish mower also!! Any other imput is still greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-12          159330

I'd be surprised if it were anything mechanical. I have 650 really abusive hours on mine. I cut and mulch-in-place 3-4 inch trees with my rotary cutter with no breaksdowns, knock on wood. ....

View my Photos
SUPERSTEER

2009-01-12          159361

Mine has 700 Hrs, Ill keep digging and hopefully come up with somthing else!!!Thanks again ....

View my Photos
SUPERSTEER

2009-01-17          159553

Earthwrks, Would you be willing to copy the trans, PTO section for me? Still cant figure it out!!I'll give you some $ or Beer! Only manuals I can find are $260.00. Ouch!!

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-17          159554

LOL I can't drink that much beer!

I used to write and illustrate service manuals so I have a fair amount of knowledge about what it takes to reproduce a full set.

I went through my manual set--not counting the owners manual--there are 506 pages. It doesn't make sense to only give the sections you asked for because there is a logical system to how they are written in so far as they refer to other sections on how to do something.

Last I looked, copies were $.07 each plus 6% sales tax. So that alone would be nearly $40 in copies. The pages are double-sided and more importantly they're book-bound, so it's not like I can drop it in the copier and it spits them out. Then add a shipping envelope and shipping.

For copying alone (not including drive time there and back) I figure if everything goes smoothly about 10-15 seconds per page, which is about 2 hours and 10 minutes. Drive time will add another 30 minutes, plus more time to get it the post office, so now we're a little over 3 hours.

I can do it, but it will have to be well worth my time and effort. Name your price and I'll tell you if I will do it for that.

The ball is in your court! And since no good deed goes unpunished I'll need to paid in full up front. ....

View my Photos
SUPERSTEER

2009-01-17          159558

WOW,I figured maybe just a couple of schematics of the transmission,Not the whole ball of wax. I'll just run PTO less.. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-17          159561

Okey dokey--if you change your mind lemme know.

Schematics are fine for electrical, but not this transmission and PTO stuff. These machines inside are on the order of an automatic transmission parts-wise versus a manual trans. with a fraction of the parts. Get one part out of order and yer screwed.

There are some "resellers" that take a factory manual like mine and literally cut it apart, and run it through a copier quickly. I won't do that to mine. Even though they are nothing but xerox copies they are still about $150 and aren't always good, clear copies as they are sometimes copies of copies of copies and therefore are fuzzy looking. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login