Go Bottom Go Bottom

Leaking tire

View my Photos
dkheckmanl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-12-05          149002

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a small puddle of liquid by one of the back tires on my TC 24DA. Just assumed it was rain water that had blown in under the door until today when I was back out in my shed and noticed the puddle was much larger. Couldn't see where it was leaking out of the tire so I decided to drive the tractor out on the driveway to take a closer look. Liquid just poured out at the rim seal at certain point on the tire when it reached the low point of rotation.

Tractor is 3 plus years old and has 175 hrs so the tires are in good shape. Dealer said it was possibly caused by a loose valve stem.

Loaded tires are OK until something like this happens.
My question is what are some other possible causes and fixes? Havn 't had a chance to call a tire dealer.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Leaking tire

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-05          149003

Assuning you don't have an actual leak in the tire itself...rusting inside the rim, and/or a bent/dented rim may be the cause. You didn't mention that the tire lost pressure so I doubt a loose tire stem is the culprit.

You'll likely have to break down the tire off the rim, inspect for damage and either replace the rim, repair the rusted portions with red Rustoleum primer and remount the tire and refill with new balast (unless they/you can reuse it). It may be wise to take care of the rust and just install a tube then refill with ballast. That will reduce any rusting to the rim. ....

Leaking tire

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-06          149017

Unless you have the equipment, give much consideration to have a company who works on tractor tires with service truck come to your machine. A tire loaded with any fluid is heavy and dangerous. Unless you are able to load and haul the tractor to them. But depending on the charge to come to you, it may be worth it.

If your tire is tubeless, YOU probably can plug like a nail hole yourself. Even with fluid in the tire. Of course if tube type, sorry. But the tube protects the rim from rust. ....

Leaking tire

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-12-06          149029

My experience is that they usually leak around the valve stem. If it is leaking around the rim, you must have a bent one. I have loaded tires on my MF135. They are loaded inside of tubes. In my case the tube was folded during original installation and eventually cracked and leaked out through the stem. That was 30 years and 3,500 hours later on the tractor. By the time I changed it, the rim was totally shot. Replaced it with a cheap aftermarket one and started over again.

I agree you need to get somebody that has the proper equipment to handle that. In my area one company pretty much services the entire farm and tractor marke. They will come to you making life easy. Handling one of those heavy bad boys is worth the additional $40.00 or so service call.

Some dealerships have the equipment or have the specialized guys come in and do a number of tire fixes at the same time to reduce service costs. ....

Leaking tire

View my Photos
dkheckmanl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-12-19          149415

Well last Saturday my neighbor helped me get the tire off and I took the tire in to the local tire dealer. They put a tube in it and filled it with liquid and air. Brought it back home and mounted it on the tractor. Everything was good except profile of the repaired tire was about a half inch higher than the other tire. By then it was too late to do anything so I parked the tractor back in the shed for the night. Sunday evening I was out in my shed and I noticed another puddle of liquid that was coming from the valve stem of the repaired tire.

Yesterday I stopped in the tire dealer and told them what was happening. The manager said they would send a service truck out to check the leak. I told them to bring a another tube and put it in the other tire. The service truck showed up this morning and put new tubes in both tires. Now the tractor sits level and as of tonight there are no signs of any leaks. Hopefully the end of the story.

Lesson learned: Next time call a service truck like some of you suggested. The service truck guy was experienced in working with bigger tires like tractor tires. Not sure of the same about the guys working at the shop in the store. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login