Go Bottom Go Bottom

Covering

View my Photos
dasbwat
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-08          129117

Is it that important to keep my new tractor covered or in a barn? Is it the same as a car and only for the paint job, or is there other reasons. I'm thinking of buying steel shed that houses it, but not sure if I really need it. Thanks guys.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Covering

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-08          129122

Sunlight and rain are the biggest enemies of anything. Sunlight breaks down and fades paint, decals fade and peel, rubber checks and cracks, steering wheels get chalky and crumble, the slighest paint chip turns to rust quickly. So, unless you want these things ---get it covered! Ask me how I know. Even a tarp is better than nothing. In my defense, I have to leave my equipment out in the elements on a job and tarping everything isn't practical. ....

Covering

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-09          129129

"Is it that important to keep my new tractor covered or in a barn?"

Yes. An occasional night out won't hurt it, but sitting out in the sun and rain continually, and it will fade, peel, crack and rust. Water seeps into threads and seizes bolts in place. At least a tarp is called for.

Good luck,
Bill ....

Covering

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-09          129168

Something I should have done that another guy did when he bought his blue was to spray nearly everything under the hood with clear coat. It was amazing how all the bolts and hardware shined after a cleaning. But then again I babied my first new pickup until it got its first scratch. After that it didn't matter ---nnnnot! ....

Covering

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-05-10          129190

Even when it doesn't rain, the dew settles on equipment that you store outside and contributes to corrosion. Water is the enemy of equipment.

How many 50-year old tractors do you know of that have been kept outside for their lifetime and are still working? But I can think of a few in my neighborhood that have been kept in a shed and are still mowing lawns. ....

Covering

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-10          129192

You have to be very careful though, sometimes covering is worse than not!!

For instance, using one of those tents, on bare ground, can lead to some serious condensation problems from the moisture wicking out of the soil (especially on grass) being trapped inside and getting to the metal equipment from the constant, daytime heating, nightime cooling cycles causing the moisture to collect on the tractor.

If you have to cover equipment on bare ground be sure to leave lots of opportunity for air to ciculate and be exchanged.

Best of luck.

Covering

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-05-10          129196

I'll go along with Murf on the plastic thing. Several years ago a friend of mine bought some engeneered rafters from a rafter plant that had been built a foot too short or something for little or nothing. his plan was to build a shed with them in a year or two. he stored them on the ground with black plastic over them. In a year or so when he went to use them they had rotted enough to be usless from the condensation on the inside of the plastic. Another lesson learned the hard way. But back to the subject, yes a shed or something to keep the sun and rain off will keep your tractor or most any equipment in better shape than sitting in the weather. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login