Go Bottom Go Bottom

hydrostat trans

View my Photos
genegarver
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-20          126383

I was thinking of replacing my 1630 w/ hydrostat trans with the new tc34. I have heard that the new holland hydro has a bad reputation. My current unit has had some hydrolic issues and has 1200 hrs on it. Any input before I jump into a new hydro unit.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

hydrostat trans

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-21          126481

Become a premium member and we'll try to answer your question.

David ....

hydrostat trans

View my Photos
SG8NUC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-21          126486

DSG

I heard that door slam all the way down here. Something about more flies with honey than vinegar comes to mind. ....

hydrostat trans

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-03-21          126488

dsg: bad day,hmmm? why would you say that?

To answer the subject question (but first: a TC34--is there such an animal?):

My 2003 TC33D has had no trouble and I put it through it's paces. (I once pulled in 3rd range my 5-yd dump trailer overflowing with sand and broken concrete (approx. 15,000-18,000 lb. down a gravel road--with no trailer brakes) and it handled like a dream) ....

hydrostat trans

View my Photos
genegarver

2006-03-22          126511

The tc 34 is coming out in april they are on order now. 35 hp seems like a good unit but just wandered if i should rethink my trans selection ....

hydrostat trans

View my Photos
genegarver

2006-03-22          126515

I became a premium member ....

hydrostat trans

View my Photos
genegarver

2006-03-22          126516

I did not get your meaning.. I have enjoyed my 1630 but it has had some problems..just checking on history of hydro problems to see if another selection of trans or make is a good idea ....

hydrostat trans

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-22          126518

Gene

I have owned Two JD Hydros and currently own One Gear and One Larger Hydro. I would recommend a Hydro for shear simplicity of operation, quickness of being able to go from forward to reverse, Hands-free operation, smoother operation and less Swearing which means less time in Church asking for forgiveness and more time on the tractor.
The ONLy problem I have ever encountered with Hydro was I had to replace the cooler for it was clogged and bent all to Hell and back. I changed filters and fluid and Hydros have been very good to me. I think I work mine tractors as hard as the next fella and in my type of terrain features, I prefer Hydro. My experiences are ONLY with JD... sorry ....

hydrostat trans

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-22          126522

I run a bunch of tractors, mostly now, by force not choice, hydrostat's.

The big difference is convenience, but not JUST convenience. If you are doing high power demand operations, ie, 'working' the tractor, you will have to bear that in mind when choosing also.

On things like line hauling, heavy mowing, or plowing, you will have significant losses to contend with on a hydro., in fact you may have to go to the next size (or two) larger tractor to get enough 'leftover' power for PTO or drawbar work. There are also heat considerations, a hydro will keep you plenty warm when it's working.

In some operations, where for instance, you have to have a wide variety in your speed, a hydro may mean you have to stop to switch between ranges, a gear or GST-type TX does not necessarily have to do that.

Best of luck. ....

hydrostat trans

View my Photos
dsg

2006-03-22          126540

genegarver, Welcome aboard.

No harm intended, I didn't slam any doors. Wasn't typing in CAP's , was more an invite although I didn't type the word in. I don't take my Bad Days out on someone else, thats what Beer is for:)

David

hydrostat trans

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-03-22          126544

The "Hydro vs. Gear" thing has been hashed lots of times here. I havent heard any real horror stories about Hydros that were properly maintained. With enough abuse or neglecet either transmission can be torn up. I've had both but still like gears best. Just a matter of what you are comfortable driving. Frank. ....

hydrostat trans

View my Photos
oneace

2006-03-22          126550

I worked for a New Holland dealer as a mechanic for A couple years up until recently when I went into the private sector. I can say that New Holland has very little worries with any of there hydro trans as well as Most of the other manufactures. ....

hydrostat trans

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-03-22          126563

Welcome gene!
I re-read your original post. IC your looking at a TC34?
Suppose thats new this year? IMO, Never in a million years would I buy a tractor,car,or tinker toy! That is a NEW PRODUCT line. NEVER! Period, no exceptions! NADDA (sorry I left that one out). No one can ever change that fact, its just not worth the head ache. Yes, you may get one that actually never has any problems LOL! But if your waiting for one, I would cancel my order and give it a year, or better yet, go with a proven model. Take a ride to Wisconsin and take a looksee into out parking lot. Case and point! (ps, I work at CNH) That being said,

What do you use your tractor for?

I bought my first ever hydro last summer (early fall) A cub cadet for cutting grass. I see the conveinance of the front and reverse but I can say that I also dont really care for it all that much. Dont get me wrong, the features are real nice but I have not (yet anyways) got use to having to use a pedal for every movement. With the old gear model, I could let up the clutch and we were back to the set speed.
PS, I have a TC40 gear and love it. I have never operated a tc hydro model so I cant comment on that for you.
Keep us informed and welcome to the board AGAIN!
(that was in caps!) ....

hydrostat trans

View my Photos
oneace

2006-03-23          126586

Normally I agree with the new model thing. But a New Holland is doing is basically re badging what they already have and tweaking the fuel a bit. I would venture to say that the TC34 will be replacing the 33 just like the 26 replaced the 24 and so on. ....

hydrostat trans

View my Photos
Gearhead

2006-03-25          126657

Yup same tractor differant # ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login