Go Bottom Go Bottom

ROPS

View my Photos
kroutman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-04          111949

Anyone make Folding ROPS for a tz series tractor?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

ROPS

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-07          112019

Haven't seen anything yet on that size tractor. The Kubota BX is the same rigid style to and there are no options. ....

ROPS

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-07          112031

Kroutman:

Find a fab shop that does race car cages or similar work in your area, and have them build you one. It will be far less expensive and more fitting to your needs than retrofitting an OEM folding unit (if one even exists).

There seems to be allot of excitement about these ROPS units. This is not a high tech endeavor, just basic engineering. A custom unit from a race shop will be far superior to an OEM unit. (Having made these things for a living, I have a bit of experience.) ....

ROPS

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-06-07          112037

AV8R makes a good point. The folding ROPS on my JD4310 is nice, but poorly built. I can only remove the pins with a hammer and a punch. They did a might piss poor job aligning the holes making it impossible to do the job in a reasonably quick manner.

But if you do go to a fab shop, make sure they use good steel and overbuild it. A folding rops has an inherent stress point it at the folding junction. So it will need to be over built. ....

ROPS

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-06-07          112041

Hmmm...

Hydraulic folding ROPS. Could use one of the rear ports, valve mounted on the ROPS, incorperate a sunshade, kind of like a hard top convertable, ...hmmm

:-)~ ....

ROPS

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-06-07          112054

AV*
LOL
How about the workingman in Northern Wis. back woods version? Bale twine run thru a pulley and you use your fel.
I do like your idea though, run with it quick! ....

ROPS

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-06-08          112097

Broken-- Just got a funny picture in my head on your idea: Lift the FEL to lower the ROPS and then hit the header on the barn door with the FEL instead of the ROPS. LOL ....

ROPS

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-06-24          112700

You might want to look into the legalities about modifying the ROPS in any way. My buddy who owns a fab shops refused point-blank to modify one for me stating that each version of a ROPS has to be designed and rigorously tested to stringent gov't. specs. Case in point: take a look at the Chinese tractors NorTrac sells--in some of the photos they are using black, bolt-on, steel stiffeners in two places on the ROPS--a band-aid approach for poor roll-over results is my guess.

Just a thought, and I'm not a lawyer, but you may void or invalidate any type of insurance (life, casuality, disability, etc.) if you were to get hurt, maimed, or killed if the incident involved the ROPS---and the insurance co. could easily prove it (they would have the evidence of the modified ROPS). They're defense to deny a claim would be that but for the fact the ROPS wasn't modified the insured would still be alive.

Years ago I was designer of Harley-Davidson parts. We used to call the oval-shaped tubular piece in front of the engine a "crash bar"--until someone did crash, got hurt and sued H-D and won. His arguement was that it didn't save him from a crash. And it's now called an "engine guard".

ROPS

View my Photos
BillBass

2005-06-24          112716

Here are some ROPS sources you might check into. ....

Link:   ROPS

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login