Go Bottom Go Bottom

Traction

View my Photos
thrasher
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-09          110875

I have a TC45 w/ R4 tires and Rhino FEL. When doing some work earlier this spring I found some boggy spots in the pasture while mowing. Seems that the tractor would stay on top but as soon as the tires slipped it would sink. I got out okay but left some serious ruts. Seems the way the tractor is geared and w/ the shuttle shift I could work back and forth and get enough wheel speed to get out.

My question is would I be better off, mowing in wet conditions without the FEL or should I leave it on and fill the tires w/ water?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Traction

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-09          110877

I would take the FEL off. It places a huge amount of weight on the front axle as well as shifts the weight forward off of the rear tires. I do this with my 430 FEL on my 4410 and it made a BIG difference. Your rear tires should be filled with the FEL and some additional rear ballast weight should be added as well. Or max. on the wheel weights and a large rear ballast weight. Check you manual for your FEL for OEM recommendations. ....

Traction

View my Photos
denwood

2005-05-09          110880

Keep in mind the FEL has freed many a stuck tractor that otherwise would have to be pulled out. If you think there is little chance of actually getting stuck, yes take it off. ....

Traction

View my Photos
thrasher

2005-05-10          110896

I have used the FEL many times to get out on other tractors. This one does not seem to help much, only get in the way since my tractor movement is faster than the FEL assist. Of coarse I have never gotten to a point where I could not move the tractor under its own traction. I usually hit the bottom right before I get high centered. It just takes some much running back and forth until I can basically jump it back out on top. Then I'll leave some nasty 50 yd ruts. Which I am now paying for everytime mow. In most cases I would not have mowed in those conditions but I had to get some loblolly seedlings in the ground before too late. I will probably run w/o the FEL, from now on if it is that wet. I will just take my sportsman out root'n instead .Anyway Thanks for your input. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login