Go Bottom Go Bottom

hard start after

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-05          110737

I ran my tractor pretty hard for the first time this year. I done some serious plowing in some pretty wet field conditions. Had to pull the plow up a few times so I did not burry the rig (in a few wetter spots). I was amazed at how great the rig held up to the conditions and ran right thru it. Here is my question? I ran the fuel down to about 1 gallon left when I was done plowing. This was fuel left in the tank from last fall. The tractor ran great with that fuel. I parked my rig and went and filled it up with new fuel from a station down the road. The next moring (it was about 32 degrees) I went to start the rig and it did NOT fire up right away? It turned over maybe 10 times so I stopped the ignition. Waited about 10 seconds and started to try it again. It fired up and some black smoke came from it (only for a few seconds but more than usual) Is this from the cold weather or is it something to do with running it hard the day before? Is this something I should be concerned with? The rest of the day it started FINE like normal everytime. I am not really too concerned but was wondering what may of caused the hard start in the morning?
Thanks for any information.
Tom

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

hard start after

View my Photos
13n0brndngIrn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-06          111975

I'd make sure that all is well with the glow plugs. Make sure you give them time to warm up. Cycling the glow plugs several times before starting the tractor will usually yield better results.

When starting (or attempting to start) the machine the fuel pump is delivering max fuel to get the cylinders. The unit returns flow to a normal setting when the governor kicks in as engine turns over. The black smoke is all of the unburned, excess fuel that was in the system. ....

hard start after

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-24          112701

32 degrees is fairly cold to start a diesel CUT. I always cycle the glow plugs on my TC33D when temps are lower than 50 degrees--takes less energy to start the engine so it's easier on the battery and the starter. But now my NH LS180 skid steer will start without glow plug assistance down to about 15 degrees; my 23-year-old Case DH5 trencher with a bulldozer engine will start without any aids at 10 degrees.

On the CUT, if the fuel cap vent is plugged, the air in the tank has contracted overnight creating a vacuum making it even harder for the fuel pump to suck. A couple puffs of black smoke is normal. White or grey is not. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login