Go Bottom Go Bottom

hard start after

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-05          110736

I ran my tractor pretty hard for the first time this year. I done some serious plowing in some pretty wet field conditions. Had to pull the plow up a few times so I did not burry the rig (in a few wetter spots). I was amazed at how great the rig held up to the conditions and ran right thru it. Here is my question? I ran the fuel down to about 1 gallon left when I was done plowing. This was fuel left in the tank from last fall. The tractor ran great with that fuel. I parked my rig and went and filled it up with new fuel from a station down the road. The next moring (it was about 32 degrees) I went to start the rig and it did NOT fire up right away? It turned over maybe 10 times so I stopped the ignition. Waited about 10 seconds and started to try it again. It fired up and some black smoke came from it (only for a few seconds but more than usual) Is this from the cold weather or is it something to do with running it hard the day before? Is this something I should be concerned with? The rest of the day it started FINE like normal everytime. I am not really too concerned but was wondering what may of caused the hard start in the morning?
Thanks for any information.
Tom

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

hard start after

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-06          110744

My suspicion would be the cold weather. Do you normally park the tractor indoors? You didn't mention weather or not you used the heat start aid. Usually at a temp like 32 degrees, glow plug or intake heater grid heat is recommended prior to start. The other issue (and this may be a very small part in it) is that after a long period of hard use, the tractor engine and power train tend to get much warmer than normally with avaerage use. Diesel fuel being an oil will expand approx. 10% of it volume when heated and contract upon cooling off to the ambient temp. This could have contributed to the extra number of start attempts to repressurize the fuel lines. I doubt this is the case but it makes for a good story so I am gonna stick to it! ;o) ....

hard start after

View my Photos
denwood

2005-05-06          110790

I would say the cold weather and the engine. I had a shibaru?? in a NH and it was always a lot crankier than any Kubota or Yanmar I have had. I also alway had to give it 3/4 throttle to fire it. It was as nice a running engine as any I have had, smooth, quiet and smoke free after starting. My yanmars and Kubota are like turning on a lightswitch, there is no cranking, just on and with no throttle. Without preheat, they may crank for a second or 2, the NH would not even try to start without preheat. Once the Yanmar didn't fire right away, it was just under 32 and frost had set in on the solenoid shaft just right to prevent it opening the injection pump. A push of the finger and it has not happened again in 4 years. I would not worry just yet. ....

hard start after

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-05-08          110850

Thanks guys
After re-checking the temps for that night it did get down to 27 F. I always have kept it in a garage but that night I did leave her out doors to rough it under the stars. No I did not have it plugged in, it was about 8am and had warmed up to a balmy 32 F or so. That was my suspition, (that it was because of the cold) In over a year, I have never had it crank even a second or two, usually fires right up, even after sitting for months at a time.
Now I am going nutze! Looked at the weather forcast for this coming week. Rain every day! So much for getting the fields finished for planting next weekend when I was supposed to go turkey hunting! Looks like I may have to take a run up to the UP of Michigan instead. I found a cultipcker that a guy may have finished up for me (he is cutting it down and re rigging it for a pull type.
Thanks again ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login