Go Bottom Go Bottom

Key will not start engine

View my Photos
poapony
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2017-05-17          196690

Tried to start my MF 261 today and the starter will not turn over with the key. When I tried to start there was nothing no click or noises of any kind, feel the problem is a short in the ignition switch. Does anyone have a link showing the different pin functions on the back of the ignition switch or the method for checking the switch? This would make eliminating the switch easier and then I could start chasing down a wiring problem between the switch and starter. It has been warmer here the last few days, upper 80's and I think this is causing an open circuit in my switch.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. As always thanks in advance for any input.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jobone
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-05-17          196691

Surprisingly warm weather is a prime time for battery failure. I would check all battery and starter connections for corrosion and check all safety sensors. Maybe jump battery from your car or truck to see if that changes things. You could also use a remote starter switch to bypass your ignition switch ....

View my Photos
poapony
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2017-05-19          196695

Jobone you were right, battery was dead. Took the old battery to the auto parts store today had it tested and it tested OK but had no lights on tractor or anything if tractor was not running. Decided to replace it even though it tested OK but it was 5 years old, installed the new battery and tractor fired right up.
I didn't think it was the battery because the day before the tractor fired right up with no problems. Have never had a battery go from working fine to totally dead overnight. Guess you can learn something new everyday. Thanks for your imput. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login