Go Bottom Go Bottom

Massey Ferguson 471 Tractor PTO Not Disengaging

View my Photos
duckman4ever
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-02-15          192113

MF 471 PTO, 2 stage clutch, press half way and PTO is supposed to stop, it has slowly become harder to engage cutter, now almost impossible. How do you adjust the PTO clutch? I see videos of the assembly but have no idea where to start to get it out of the tractor. Do I have to break the tractor in half? Any help appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-02-15          192115

Duckman4ever,

It may be possible to adjust the clutch, but you'll need a shop manual in order to perform this adjustment properly. If you don't get it right the first time, you'll destroy the clutch.

And yes.....in most cases you'll need to split the tractor in order to replace the clutch. It's a big job without the proper tools.

Joel ....

View my Photos
46bugs

2015-02-15          192116

On most smaller Massey-Ferguson Tractor you can adjust the clutch by turning a nut on a rod under the left foot rest. Try that may help you. Not sure which way to turn the nut,just play with it until it helps you.
I don't think you will have to break the tractor in half. If this doesn't help you contact your Massey -Ferguson Dealer and ask for direction on adjusting the clutch. ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-02-15          192120

There should be an external adjustment, but with a 2 stage clutch you need the specs from the shop or owner's manual to get it correct. ....

View my Photos
duckman4ever

2015-02-16          192130

Not sure about that post that said the problem was corrected, I did not post it. But thanks for the advice, I am going to try and run down s shop manual for it, the adjustment rod on the side of the tractor does adjust the point of engagement and release but it didn't seem to have any impact on the PTO. Only 396 hours on it, I certainly hope it's a simple adjustment. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login