Go Bottom Go Bottom

Long 460 hydraulic problem

View my Photos
cwe408
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-04          87747

I have a 78 or 79 Long 460. Recently I had to fill the trans with fluid because it was low and the 3 point would barely work. The trans is now full but the 3 point barely works and when it does it is very slow and jerky. I think I might have air in the system but not sure. I do not know how the bleed the system of air. I used fluid from TSC hydro/trans fluid to fill system just under the shifter. Any and all help woul be greatly appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2004-06-04          87754

Some old Ford farm tractors did have a priming port on the pump. Most reasonably modern tractor pumps are self-priming and self-bleeding. Sorry I don't know about the Long. If you haven't done it recently, changing the hydraulic filter and cleaning any screens sounds like a good idea. ....

View my Photos
loghouse95

2004-06-04          87760

are you sure the hydraulics work off the Transmission fluid, I have a long and mine works off the fluid in the rear axle ....

View my Photos
cwe408

2004-06-05          87768

I am not sure where it gets its fluid. I thought it was all one big system. As far as changing the filter and cleaning the screens does anyone know where they are located? ....

View my Photos
loghouse95

2004-06-05          87803

Before I would change anything I would find out where my hydraulic system gets it fluid, your filter looks like an oil filter and is probably on the side of your engine...Any Long dealer can provide you with the paticulars for your tractor ....

View my Photos
chktractor

2011-04-18          178033

460 long has a screen filter under the starter ....

View my Photos
jbcampn

2011-12-02          181448

I too have a Long. A 2360 with the same issue. I did find a lever to the right ("passenger side") of the valve body under the seat. Moving this up helped a lot but still very slow. The lever is about 2" long and movies up and down. I will try to post a picture if you think this would help. I can't find the fill plug for mine. The transmission fill is right in the middle but it looks, and from previous entry is, separate from the hydraulics. I too could use some help with this as there is no dealer in my area. ....

View my Photos
jbcampn

2011-12-02          181466

New to the site and didn't see that this thread was started in 2004. I do have the question pertaining to the location of the hydraulic fill plug on the 2360. Any help would be appreciated. If this post needs to be moved for better response, do it or let me know how. Thnx. ....

View my Photos
chevybig10

2016-12-27          196026

I have a long 460 tractor. The hydraulics for the 3 point gets it hydraulic fluid from the rear axle housing which gets it fluid from the transmission. Same reservoir. If you look under the tractor rear axle housing you should see a separate drain plug. If you look to see where the hydraulic fluid line connects to it is under the rear axle housing. I was having the same problem. I drained the transmission housing and refilled with new fluid, cleaned the filter, etc. The hydraulics still did not work. When I disconnected the lower hydraulic line on the pump no fluid came out. No fluid was flowing to the pump. When I drained the rear axle housing transmission fluid water, hydraulic oil and clumps of goo drained out. Rinsed it out with an approved cleaner and put new fluid in the rear axle housing. The line from the axle housing to the screen filter could be plugged up also. You might need to remove the line and check for blockage.(The line that connects underneath the rear axle housing to the screen filter). Hope this helps you with your problem.
I changed hydraulic fluid,(on full mark), cleaned filter, cleaned check valve piston, installed new hydraulic pump, bled air from system, checked sensitivity control, checked draft control. Not getting any fluid to check valve piston.
Hydraulic 3 point hitch still does not work.

View my Photos
arcwelder

2017-08-06          196939

Here is the service manual for 360, 460, 510
On my 2510 the short connector hose that went from the pickup tube to the filter had a pin hole in it. it would suck air into the hydraulics, making everything slow and jerky. I finally figured it out by putting milky transmission oil in a glass jar and sealed with a good lid. After sitting overnight, it was totally clear.
The pickup tube was cut off at the factory and had burrs on the outside. those made the pinhole(s) in the top of the rubber connector hose.
Removed hose and got the same size fuel transfer hose from O'reilly's.
Sanded down the burrs and rounded everything off. End of problem.

Link:   Long Service Manual 360, 460, 510

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login