Go Bottom Go Bottom

Restoring Long 460

View my Photos
Inducnito
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-02-05          186156

Bought an older Long 460 last year. My first tractor. Wanted something inexpensive with a low likelihood of getting stolen. This thing turns out to be a nice basic tractor. I have most of the mechanicals sorted out, but not all. It seems to run just fine, handles a 5ft bush hog all day with no complaints.

Interested in painting it now. Planning to start with the wheels. I expect to remove each wheel for clean up and paint. Would I need to remove the tires? Would a wire brush wheel on my angle grinder suffice to remove the rust, or should I plan to sandblast it, or some other method?

Thanks in advance

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Restoring Long 460

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-02-19          186227

Those can be good tractors, parts can be hard to find now so hope you don't need certain parts.

Think the answer to your question depends on two things, how rusty is it and how good a job you want to do. If light rust wire brush probably will do fine if heavy then sand blasting it. How good a joint can you get with the tire still on the rim? I think you will want to remove it and be sure the tire side of the rim is not rusting.

KT ....

Restoring Long 460

View my Photos
46bugs
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-02-23          186269

I just finished painting my 2360 Long and I called Joe Tractor at 1-800-336-885-4532 and he told me to use a Ford Blue is what the Long tractor was using, So I painted mine with that color,it looks GOOD. also mine has Black Air Vents in front and front sides,I used a shiny Black paint on that..and I bought new decals from Joe In North Carolina and he does have most anything you need for that Long Tractor,long makes a VERY GOOD Tractor..and cheaper then a Ford or Massey-Ferguson,
I own 3 Tractors a Massey-Ferguson-250,a F-40 Ferguson which is the same tractor as a Massey-Harris and Massey-Ferguson 50 all 3 tractors are the same except the front grill. And the Long 2360 , ....

Restoring Long 460

View my Photos
46bugs

2013-02-23          186270

Also any part store can get you most anything you will need for that Long Tractor,I use O-Reilly auto parts..They have tractor part books to crossmatch with the Long Tractor.Or any other Tractor ....

Restoring Long 460

View my Photos
Inducnito

2013-02-23          186275

Thanks for the vote of confidence in Long tractors. I have exchanged emails with tractor joe in the past, I suppose he is the same as Joe's Tractor?
I was betting that this tractor was built of very simple, heavy duty, and commonly available components when I bought it. The way it looks now, it is also a low theft risk.
Painting will wait until I learn more about the prep, accumulate the equipment to do the job.
Plan to do more electrical clean up next, check the front wheel bearings and tie rod ends for wear, and enjoy running the tractor.
Now if I could only figure out how to post a pic...

Restoring Long 460

View my Photos
Inducnito

2013-02-23          186278

Hey, I just made an avatar! ....

Restoring Long 460

View my Photos
46bugs

2013-02-23          186280

I see a Picture ,are you from NE.? ....

Restoring Long 460

View my Photos
46bugs

2013-02-23          186281

Yes Joe is the same as Joes Tractors ....

Restoring Long 460

View my Photos
Inducnito

2013-02-24          186283

I'm in NE, tractor is in GA. ....

Restoring Long 460

View my Photos
46bugs

2013-02-24          186285

I live in the Northeast part of Middle Tennessee close to the Tn/.Ky. state line. ....

Restoring Long 460

View my Photos
Inducnito

2013-03-10          186358

Has anyone changed the brake bands? Do I really have to separate a rear axle from the differential? ....

Restoring Long 460

View my Photos
nathanlann

2013-04-19          186776

Tractorjoe and joes tractor is 2 different companies tractorjoe sell over 95% of the parts needed for your long tractor and have a very knowledgeable staff to assist you with any question you may have you can also call them toll-free at 1-888-506-2190 ....

Restoring Long 460

View my Photos
Inducnito

2013-04-23          186801

I did get them mixed up. Ordered some tie rods from the Minn outfit. Very nice people, prompt service, correct parts.

Tie rods were simple to replace in concept, difficult to execute due to the extensive rust. Will work more on electrical, might have to mostly bypass the stock electrical harness. Still wondering if I should tackle the brake bands. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login