Go Bottom Go Bottom

hydrostatic transmission problem

View my Photos
boltej
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-14          79871

I pulled my Sears lawn tractor out of winter storage, and the hydrostatic transmission won't engage. Checked the obviously stuff - drive belts okay, all linkages look fine. The manual talks about purging the air out - did that, no difference. These are supposedly sealed for life, but it seems abit like a fluid problem. I get a little noise out of it when shifting out of neutral, but thats about it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-14          79873

Does it have a lever that disengages the transmission to make it easier to push? ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-14          79878

boltej; When you say sealed for life do you mean that there is no where on the hydro unit to check the fluid level or add fluid to it? Was there fluid on the floor where the tractor sat for the winter? Like Art mentioned most hydro mowers have a disengage lever or pull rod you can use to unhook the transmission to make it easier to push around with a dead motor. Perhaps a stuck valve in the system. Does it have a filter? tell us more we'll try to help. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-15          79934

You say you 'get a little noise out of it'.

Does it sound like it's labouring at all. Does the hydraulic deck lift, if so equipped, still work OK ? If so you are at least making pressure, that's half the battle.

If I were to take a stab at it blind like this, I would say there is a pressure loss. For it to occur during storage I would have to say it is likely something like a pressure relief valve spring failure.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login