Go Bottom Go Bottom

Considering New Lawnmower

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-14          111045

I think my gravely 4 wheel garden tractor (1983) needs an engine overhaul and I am not sure I am willing to invest the money in it. I am considering JD LT160. I am hoping problems in last post (JD engine smoking ) are restricted to L series.

I am also considering less expensive z-turn mowers that are coming out for homeowners (Husqvarna, Snapper). These are in the $3000-$3500 range for a 38-42 inch mower). Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they reliable? Can they tow a gaarden cart just like a lawn tractor? Would they all have good traction up steep slopes? Or are they an untested new alternative that could cause me problems? I have steep slopes and lots of trees so these look very interesting to me.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-14          111046

Watch the tire size on the zero turns for your work. We've had several that we brought right back and exchanged for different models. The problem was climbing hills and soft ground with wheel spin, many of these are quite aggressive as far as horsepower and new owners inexperience with that type of mowers drives. Big rear tires help! You have to remember if you start sliding with one you can't afford to panic and let it slide as you will go to the bottom of the hill or ditch unless you are quick enough to power your way out of the slide as the front wheels are only casters and will follow the rears! ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-05-14          111060

I do not think that they would be very good for pulling a cart around. We sell many different brands and they all have one thing in common. Traction. If it is wet or damp you will have none. I have tested what we sell Cub Cadet, Woods, Bush Hog, Ferris, and Kubota. Art is right about the wheel size bigger is better. Just remember you get what you pay for. You can get a nice lawn tractor for what you can get a "CHEAP" zero turn for. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-05-15          111085

Thanks Art and Oneace - I think I have decided to go with a traditional lawn tractor that my wife can easily use. Maybe even go down to a 42 inch mower in anticipation of a smaller house someday. I may not be around forever and my wife needs to be able to use the mower. I really value your opinions. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2005-05-16          111103

Ncrunch I just bought a cub cadet M50 Tank which is their entry level commercial Z turn man what a differance this thing is unbelievable. I used to use a JD G100 with a 54" deck. There is no comparison B/W a Z Turn and a Garden tractor for mowing. I actually look foward to mowing now. The mowing time was reduced from 1hr and 35min to 40min and the string trimming is just about none now. And the best part is the lawn looks so much better I have gotten a ton of compliments. The Z turn cost me $4500.00 and well worth it. I would stay away from the cheaper homeowner modals they have cheaper trannys and deck systems. I just sold my G100 0n Ebay. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
excel25
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-17          111203

Look at hustler, the fast track is in the price range you want and a GREAT warranty ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-05-22          111365

Well, I did it. The Gravely crapped out again on me after changing gas, oil, cleaning air filter. I may try rebuilding the engine myself this winter. Didn't get a 0-radius machine since my wife wants to be able to use the machine.

I bought the JD LT190 hydro which has foot pedals just like my JD 4310, kawasaki 2 cylinder engine, electric PTO, 48 mower, large tires, etc etc. Set me back $4k, dealer took $250 off plus got free JD garden cart (coupon for $250 credit towards JD attachment) with the deal and another JD hat. It was more than I expected to spend but now I am ALL green and this is a honey of a machine. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-05-23          111389

I've also been looking at that JD Model. That's a nice tractor. It should last you more than 20 years. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-05-23          111412

Let's see - in 20 years I will be 72. I guess that's long enough! :) My Gravely is a 1983. If I can get that engine going again maybe it will outlast the JD and I can continue to use it for rough stuff. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-05-23          111413

I said atleast 20 years. I have a whole bunch of them that are running strong that are in the 81-85 model years. My neighbor next to the farm will be 91 years old this August. His Craftsman lawntractor died last week, and he is looking for a new one now. My dad quite mowing at 79 when Parkinson's got the best of him and couldn't any longer. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login