Go Bottom Go Bottom

Draining Clay Soil

View my Photos
MacDaddy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-02          110604

I am just wondering if anyone has experience draining saturated clay soil. I have an area of about 1/2 –acre that I would like to make firmer. Its not swampy, its just mushy for several days after any rain. Its strong enough to support my tractor… but not without creating muddy tracks. My first inclination is to install a perf. drain tile about 10” deep in stone. However, I’m not sure how well this will work because clay doesn’t give water up very quickly. Anyone have any success in this area? I’d really like to dry this area out.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Draining Clay Soil

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-02          110614

There is really only two practical ways to do it, either remove the clay or bury it under enough topsoil that it doesn't matter.

It is possible however to 'convert' the clay, but it's a BIG job.

Cover the clay with a sand / organics mixture and roto-till the daylights out of it, keep repeating that until the soil is the right consistency.

When we build out golf courses and encounter pockets of clay like that we just dig it out and replace it with better soil.

Best of luck. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login