Go Bottom Go Bottom

sidewalk sealer

View my Photos
burtalm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-17          80135

I hope someone out there has a solution. I put in new cement slab sideways last spring. With all of this years snow, I had to apply salt quite a bit so that no one would fall on the ice that built up. Now I find that the surface of several sections are literally eaten up by the salt and is etched, pitted and worn down way more than normal wear. As I don't expect hext year to be ny better and the need for side walk salt will continue, I will need to do something with the sideway surface to cut back on salt damage or I'll be totally redoing the job all too soon. Do any of you know of a resin sealer or other product to apply to the sideway surface to seal out the salt effect? Or do you have other ideas? Thanks in advance.
Burt

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

sidewalk sealer

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-17          80153

Burt, first, sealer will make your concrete as slippery as the ice itself.

Secondly, the easiest way to prevent salt damage is to NOT USE salt, try CaCl (calcium chloride) or one of the 'other' de-icers available, they are a little more money, but certainly less $$$ than replacing a sidewalk.

Best of luck. ....

sidewalk sealer

View my Photos
JParker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-22          91667

I was just catching up on the "controlling grass along fencing" post and saw comments about spraying CaCl. I didn't want to sidetrack that post, but this old one looked like a good place for this thought / question.

Spraying CaCl for snow melt / ice control sounds interesting. I assume you buy as solid, mix with water & apply. Is it very free from impurities, or how do you avoid clogging the sprayer nozzle?

Sounds like a neater, more accurate, less deadly (to grass & concrete) solution than many powdered melters or rock salt.

Or is this only for very large sprayers?

I have also have a brand new sidewalk with steps. I don't want to hurt the young concrete, but don't like breaking my ### after ice storms either. The genius that built the sidewalk followed the ground contour and only added a few steps where he had to so both the "flat" sections and steps both slope pretty heavily. They just replaced the damaged concrete, but went back just as before even after I asked about leveling it out some. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login