kubota B6100HST 4WD engine knock: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review kubota B6100HST 4WD engine knock: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 12-25-2002, 09:30 Post: 46560
chris leesmann
2002-12-25 09:30:09
 kubota B6100HST 4WD engine knock

I had recently purchased this with a bad engine,#2 rod bearing failure. purchased used crank and totally overhauled the rest of engine.now it runs fairly good but, lots of black smoke on start up and pretty much goes away at wot and after warm up can here slight miss or (like lean miss in gas engine).at wot.at idle a very distinct knock noise and as throttle is opened noise disapates.With stethescope the loudest spot is fuel line from pump (fuel)not injector). oil pressure good,injectors overhauled,I think fuel is good #2 diesel.all air appears too have been bled.I don't believe it too be engine noise or bearing failure.I double checked valve adjustment.Head was not milled and clearence appears ok.Then after a cople of days of running and checking all of a sudden trans oil starting foaming or bubbling out of shifter boot only when stationery.Now with brake applied seems to have stopped.3ph goes down very slow with pushing but comes up very fast.I looked for lever under seat but not there.Engine seems to run good when driving and trans performs normal.Can anyone disifer this problem? sorry so long. Thanks chris Marthasville Mo.

Link:   B6100 HST 4WD knock 

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 12-25-2002, 19:43 Post: 46572
buckmaster

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User

This is my original message.I have since joined the club.Didn't no was this easy.So I hope now someone will read and help.I can almost fix any kind of car problem but havn't had much experience with diesels if at all.
thanks buckmaster

12-26-2002, 05:41 Post: 46585
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Sounds like several problems.

Since there was a recent engine overhaul, I wonder if the engine timing can be assumed correct? Usually that's a matter of matching marks on gears under the timing gear cover, which would take some tear-down to verify visually. Injector pump timing is another matter and the timing should be verified. A manual should give procedures. Some procedures may require an injector to be removed and use of a dial indicator. Valve clearances affect injector spill timing and I guess we're assuming they're correct.

I'd describe my Ford as having moderate gray smoke at startup and some smoke until it's warm. There is knocking right at startup that diminishes within a minute. I think these things are normal for diesels. I can't tell from the description if what is experienced might be normal or not.

I'd check the TX oil level. An overfilled TX is a possible explanation. Another possibility is water or other contamination in the oil, so changing it on general principal isn't a bad idea. It's also possible for obstructions or leaks in the hydraulic pump suction line to introduce oil into the oil that could produce froth that bubbles out around the shifters.

There often are two o-ring seals on shifter shafts, so it might take a lot of frothing to bubble oil out the top if the seals are in good condition. If seals and boot are in bad shape and the tractor sat outside, then that's a good way for rain can get into a TX, so maybe that's an explanation.

Many tractors have a flow control valve somewhere under the seat. These valves adjust the rate of fall of the 3ph but doesn't affect the lift rate. It sounds like a flow control valve is fairly closed--as would be normal when using a heavy implement.

12-26-2002, 09:59 Post: 46592
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

For what's been done I think Tom has some good points to begin with.

12-26-2002, 17:13 Post: 46602
buckmaster

Filter by User

Thanks Tom for responding!I checked and double checked the timing marks because I performed the overhaul.The reason I checked so many times is this!When I disassembled the engine there is a total of 5 gears;oil pump,not timed,crank gear one mark,idler gear 3 marks injection pump gear one mark,and camshaft gear1 mark. the injector pump gear and idler gear never were removed and stayed mesched the timing marks on these gears never would line up always fell 2 teeth short every 3rd revelution ie: 3cylinder.I removed the idler gear when reassembling to turn shaft to allow all 4 timed gears to line up.This was a concern when assembling and I checked all the resources availible to me to double check alignment.Is it possible the injector pump has a problem that could have started the original #2 rod bearing and cylinder pitting and now still exsists.And the noise could have been covered up by the rod?
thanks, chris {buckmaster}

12-27-2002, 07:23 Post: 46617
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

On my Ford 1710 there is an adjustment for something called the injector spill time. That's the one I especially wondered about. Adjustment requires positioning the engine and removing a delivery valve and then loosening a coupling between the pump and its drive shaft. The pump is rotated until it just starts delivering fuel at the correct engine position. I know that a spill time that is off will make an engine smoke.

I also know that the mounting position of a pump affects the spill time and procedures for removing and replacing a pump often require making an index mark across the pump body and engine so it can be replaced in the same position. Mounting a new pump usually requires a spill time adjustment. However, some old Ford farm tractors have a scale on the pump calibrated in degrees and owners sometimes just changed the settings to see what worked the best.

I'll think through the knocking buz some, but I'm mostly gas engine experienced and diesel engine theoryed myself. When I've rebuild gas engines, I'd check the crank journals with micrometers to see if the diameters and out-of-rounds were in tolerance. I'd also check the bearing clearances at 90-degrees with plastigauge. I don't know if something like that was done, but it would eliminate a possible explanation for knocking.

Bad injectors or nozzles can cause knocking. I've heard of people identifying problems by slightly loosening injector line fittings while the engine is running. If the knock disappears, they've found the problem. But since this is theory for me, I don't know what else the test might reveal. Of course extreme care must be taken when working around a running engine. In addition to the usual hazards, loosening injector lines (running or not) exposes a person to fuel under high pressure. If it gets injected under the skin, amputation is a usual cure. Same goes for testing for hydraulic line leaks with fingers. Nobody can recommend that somebody else carry out this type of procedure.

12-27-2002, 15:54 Post: 46625
buckmaster

Filter by User

I also read about cracking the injector lines to isolate wich cylinder I think I'll try that tonite to see if it might be #2 cylinder again.And yes I plastigauged every bearing after micing all journals and all checked ok because I only wanted to do this once.I'm thinking the black smoke at start up and the knock are the same problem but also at wot there is what I would call on a gas engine, a lean miss with a small puff of black smoke each time.At all other throttle setigs engine purrs as if no problem.and really atwot it sounds good.The noise is at idle only and slightly to about 1/4 throttle then you don't hear any noise.

12-28-2002, 08:49 Post: 46641
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Sounds like the right sorts of things were done. I'd guess the wrist pins etc. also were checked. Some manuals don't specify hot or cold for valve settings, but I think cold is more common for diesel tractors.

In terms of the knock, a comparison with the sound of another engine would be very helpful. The sound might be normal, but I don't think that puffs of black smoke are normal.

Diesel trouble shooting often distinguish between black, gray and white smoke (blue is oil like in gas engines). When I hear 'black smoke' I usually think of too little air or overheating, which is the same thing. Too much fuel also is black if it's ignited or white otherwise. A diesel usually puffs some gray until it comes up to operating temperature and many continue puff a bit while rmp is increasing when a lot of throttle is added. I think I'd change the air filter and check for obstructions and maybe give it fresh fuel and make sure it's coming into the normal temp range just to check these things off. I'd also verify the spill-timing, although it it's a little off it should make gray smoke, or white if it's really off, rather than black.

I guess this is a flock of little things that are pretty to check before turning to checking out more difficult problems. There could be a bad injector, compression loss, a governor problem that gives poor fuel metering at low rpm, and the ugly list could go on and on.

12-28-2002, 12:51 Post: 46653
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I guess my post here did not show up. Some of what I said has been covered now.
Last year a friend of mine got a Chev diesel crew cab that had the engine damaged. The owner had taken it to Mr. Goodwrench to set the injector timing (spill timing). When we took it apart it had burned completely through one cylinder and damaged the rod and head. The timing is critical to performing correctly and you need to know what you are doing to set correctly.
It ran fine once we had it back together.
Peters

12-29-2002, 07:10 Post: 46670
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Eventually the net on this problem will start closing and we'll figure it out. Still a pretty wide net though but some things will start being checked off pretty soon I imagine.

Peters: I was harping on the spill time setting because as you noted, the procedure is complex and could produce some of the problems. The procedure for my 1710 requires taking off a valve stem keeper so the valve sits on top of the piston and then using a dial indicator on the valve stem to set the piston to a speced degree BTDC. Chris hasn't described doing something like that but maybe he has or maybe there's another way of setting it on his Kubota.

A couple of things that I guess are still widening the net are: Weak compression on one cylinder can make an engine run cool for that cylinder. It may puff exhaust but may warm up enough so that it wouldn't puff if running under load. A compression test might show something.

The injectors were overhauled. I hope that a good assumption is that they're OK and the pressures were set. Puffing on one cylinder sure could be an injector. I don't know if the injector overhaul included the delivery valves that are usually thought of as part of the pump. Delivery valves are mostly check valves, but they do produce a sharp pressure drop at the end of injection. Without that drop the injector nozzle dribbles, and I'll bet a dribbling injector would make exhaust puffs at low rpm. I don't know how commonly delivery valves fail though or how to check them. I guess that's why diesel shops have test gear.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 46560 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | buckmaster 5 | chris leesmann 1 | DH83 1 | Peters 1 | TomG 5 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
cowrider

Belarus - Belarus 250as blowby
Belarus 250as blowby

Unanswered Questions

Belarus 825 - needs a new clut
Drain Cock
Need more hydraulic flow for s
HINOMOTO HB 501
Belarus 420A - Problems bleed

Active Subjects

460 Long hyd leak
460 axle
Key will not start engine
6x4 engine rebuild vsHarbor Fr
Things we say and what do they
The Plus and Minus of Ignoring
Looking to buy a New Pickup Tr
Need more hydraulic flow for s

Hot Topics

Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch s
Duerr hp 678 Chipper replaceme
Gator 620i gas in engine oil
KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
Duerr hp 678 Chipper Manual
Adjusting 7308 Pressure Relief
Long 460 hydraulic problem

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force
+ Kubota B3200 vs JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality