Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Kubota 2920 and its snow plow

View my Photos
Hardbawl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-02-09          176795

Greetings from North Central PA. I just traded my 16yo B1750 for the new B2920. Wow, what an upgrade. But I do have one question about the snow plow. There are two similar hydraulic pistons. One for up/down, and one for left/right angle. The up/down is very strong. Push down and it will lift the front of the tractor off the ground. The angle is quite weak. Push into a tough pile of snow and you can't use the angle to push the tractor back. What could be wrong??? In simple terms, please. thanks for your help. Hardbawl

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-02-09          176800

I wouldn't use the cylinders in that way unless it might be a case of being stuck. If you were stuck and spinning all wheels then I believe it should be able to move the tractor. It is a lot different to pick a front end by a straight vertical vs a side to side movement.

Did your 1750 do it?

We have not sold any with the blade as we are in snow blower country. ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-02-10          176803

Hardbawl,

I have reason to believe that both cylinders are identical. The difference between the two is only due to the loss of mechanical advantage due to the greater distance between the angle cylinder and the end of the blade....when compared to the distance between the lift cylinder and its location very near the blade.

The angle cylinder isn't weak. It's just that the distance is greater to the end of the blade, making it nearly impossible for a cylinder of that size to push the tractor backwards.

The angle cylinder is meant to provide for a fairly rapid transition from one side to the other. The end of the blade will travel a great distance in a short amount of time. The perceived loss of power is only due to the fact that the work is being done so much further from the cylinder.

It's set up like a Class III lever. Class III levers provide good speed, but little power......like a catapult.

Hope this helps.

Joel

View my Photos
Hardbawl

2011-02-10          176805

Thanks for your reply, Mr. White. My 16 year old B1750 had a power angle kit added to the plow. If I had all wheels spinning it would most definatly push the tractor by angling the plow. The angle of the cylinder placement is much different on the new tractor. The B2920HST is a way better tractor. With its beet juice filled tires it has better traction. However, in North Central PA we often get 6-12" of snow over a layer of ice. [Joy of joys] I haven't got stuck yet, but Murphy's Law still holds. It would be nice to be able to push yourself off a snow pile.

I use a snow plow instead of a blower because it is so much faster and has much less maintenance. Most all of the driveways that I do are gravel. The longest is 600' with a lollipop at the bottom. This is a 15-20 min job with a 6" snow. When it is 10*F out moving snow at 10 MPH is slow enough for me. As great as the B2920HST is, the heater isn't worth a damn.

Again, thanks for your help. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2011-02-10          176807

Did the 1750 have loaded tires?

For what we have here we often do loaders on the front and blowers on the rear for our customers.
For lighter snows the loader does fine and the blower does the final blow away. With a gravel driveway a short top link lifts the cutting edge so you don't spread the driveway accross the lawn.

You must enjoy the three range with the added power in the middle range over the two range of the 1750!

There are cures for that heater issue!!!! ....

View my Photos
Hardbawl

2011-02-10          176814

Yes the B1750 had loaded tires. It had turf tires on the front and rear tires that had like 4 rows of "Vs". My property is quite hilly. I move heavy loads of fire wood weekly, and skid the ocassional log so traction is important.

The three speeds are great. High speed is the best when plowing something long. The plow throws snow better at higher speeds. Where you have to push snow straight and pile it up the power from the mid speed is great unless you are on ice. With the improved plow lift height it is no problem to pile snow 5-6' high.

When you go from one driveway to the next you can get really cold. Once at a driveway hands and feet are quite active so you warm up. So I wear a warm coat with a hood and chopper mits. Any "stay warm" suggestions would be appreciated.

Bye the bye, yesterday morning it was -10*F and the B2920 fired up after a 2 secont glow plug heat. I am impressed.

Again thanks for your help. Hardbawl ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login