Go Bottom Go Bottom

First time tractor purchase

View my Photos
HVACRich
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-04-11          161932

Hi all, I stumbled across this site while researching Kubota tractors on the internet. Wow! This is cool! I reviewed a few of the questions and realized I'd found a Kubota nirvana!

About me: My family and I bought our land (38.5 rural acres in beautiful Eastern Iowa) in 2005 and built our new house in '06 and a pole building in '07. It's our first time living out in the country and we love it! We rent out about 30 acres of crop ground. The rest is yard and timber.

Anyway, on to my question. :) I'm looking to purchase my first tractor. I first thought I'd get an older farm tractor but have ruled that out for various reasons. I've pretty much narrowed it down to Kubota or Deere and am leaning heavily towards Kubota. I really don't have any experience with either and have heard good things about both. I like the fact that Kubota makes the entire product in their tractors. How big do I need and what models would you recommend? I mow approximately 3 acres and have a small zero turn mower from when I lived in town. It's great around trees and buildings but the 44" deck takes quite a while to get it all done so. I'd like to do some finish mowing with it. Mostly flat except for the ditches. I want to move snow with it. I'm in the process of adding approximately 4-5 acres of waterways (hiring that project out!) to control erosion in my fields and will need to mow those 3 or 4 times a year. I'd like a loader on the front for moving rocks, doing fence work, and the general utility of it. I've been looking at low 30's to the low 40's for HP and am looking at newer equipment. Is this around the right size for me? Do I need this bigger? Smaller? Help :(

Thanks for reading all this. I look forward to your responses. :)
Rich L

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-13          161976

Welcome to TP. No doubt you will get timely info the way I did when I asked my first question here a few years back. Time flys!

It would seem low 30's to 40's hp would suit your needs with proper attachments. For the mowing you need to know if you are expecting lawn quality cut or rougher cut to decide on type of mower. I have a 27 hp Kubota and use a 60 inch rear finishing mower (RFM) and pleased with it. Depending on slope and how thick your grass is might need more hp for that width deck. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-04-13          161978

Rich; When we retired and sold the lion's share of the farm we kept 50 Ac. with a house and shed, so I'm pretty close to a match, I'm even from NE Iowa.
I used mostly Deere farm equip because of a nearby strong dealership, so I've got a Deere 4310, (33-34 hp) along with the equipment to fit, loader, backhoe, tiller, brush mower, rear finish mower, and stuff I can't remember. It's been a solid dependable tractor with parts and service nearby when I need it, so I'm happy with it.
I've got a similar situation with waterways, road ditches, etc. to mow. I'd keep the zero turn and get a rear mount finish mower, but don't overdo the width of cut, just wide enough to cover your tracks. too wide makes them scalp in places, take more power and sometimes hard to manuver between trees, etc. Lots of good brand mowers, but I favor Land Pride, a bit pricey but hard to destroy. Sticks, rocks, and whatever seem to have a way of hiding in the grass, so a bit beefer is always good with a mower. Frank. ....

View my Photos
HVACRich

2009-04-14          162028

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. :)

I've found a new Kubota L3940 HST with a loader fairly close by for what seems to be a reasonable price. I'm thinking this would be a good size?

KThompson, you mention quality of cut, I'm thinking I'll want both a rotary (Bushog) type mower and a rear finish mower. Rotary for the grassways and ditches and RFM for the yard.

Hardwood, where abouts are you in NE Iowa? That is some beautiful country up that way. A guy I work with just bought a little over 200 Acres near Guttenberg. He plans on building there for retirement. He's in his 40's now! I'm located near Springville. You mention not going too wide with a RFM. How wide is too wide? My yard's not golf course flat so I can see where too wide could be a problem.

Thanks again for your time, Rich ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-04-15          162045

Rich, My rear mower is an 84 in. but that is just a bit too wide to do a nice level job, I wouldn't go over 72 in.
I'm in northern Linn couinty, with some other vacation property in Fayette county. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-15          162063

I agree with the need for both types of mowers. I use a 72 inch RFM and for my yard with a swell in it would not want anything larger. You do want one wider than your tractor wheels are. I have side discharge but wish it were rear discharge. Did not realize they had those until after I bought. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login