Go Bottom Go Bottom

Help with a L2850

View my Photos
SamSpade
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-05-17          153757

I am looking at a 1989 L2850 with a BF500 bucket, brushhog and snow plow. It has low hours (1200). Any guestimate value on a tractor like this? The hours seem really low, how hard is it to tinker with the hours or is there any way to confirm the hours?

I'll need a backhoe to go on this and I have looked up the woods BH80-X (I want to stick with a 4pt subframe mounted). Any other suggestions? I'll be looking for a used backhoe, are there any to stay away from? Since I need it soon, though, I will probably need to buy a new backhoe.

Any hints at evaluating this tractor? The sheet metal and paint is in decent shape. I'll be looking for wet spots. Any suggestions about checking the freeplay in the clutch?

Any reviews on L2850s? I have fifteen acres of forest and some fields, some flat some small hills. I need to be able to dig trenches, move around animal bedding, drag logs for firewood, maybe till or disc and cut grass for hay(sickle bar).

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Help with a L2850

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-18          153764

On the serial number plate or on the left side of the transmission it should tell you the model. The favorite one for us was the DT-7 which was the best version for most uses. Normally when a tach has been tampered unless rusty the numbers on hours or miles on cars won't line up properly.

On the tractor check the chassis, it will tell you a lot. Things like the clutch petal will have more wear marks from feet and the petal will have a lot of side to side play. The bucket cutting edge if replaced would tell of use. The three point hitch if used a lot will have loose balls on the end. The hitch for towing might also be egged out from the pin. ....

Help with a L2850

View my Photos
SamSpade

2008-05-18          153780

I took a look at it again today. The owner wasn't around so I didn't get to look at the service records, but I took a hard look at it and got SNs of the bucket and tractor.

This L2850 is a DT-8. What is a DT-7 that art mentioned? Any gues how the DT-8 is different or how to find out?

Looking around underneath, it still looks prety clean. But I did find some hydraulic fluid. I know from my old vans that a little hydraulic fluid on the drive shaft may just be weeping past the seals and not necessarialy a problem. Any advice on a tractor? I also found the center PTO for the mower deck, and I gues other front PTO appendages. The little metal cap was bent, but I didn't see any damage to the PTO.

Any guesses about what this tractor would have gone for new. Turns out it is a 1986, not a 1989, BTW. ....

Help with a L2850

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-19          153785

The DT-8 is one step better then a DT-7! It has the mid PTO that you found! Great tractors, still not in the shops! ....

Help with a L2850

View my Photos
duke8444

2008-05-19          153791

I have an L 2850 with a bucket and it has 2,200 hours on it and it still runs strong. The only problems with it have been electrical and they were easy fixes. Mine was a little trashed from a cosmetic standpoint when I got it, so last year I cleaned, sandblasted, and painted it. Today it looks new, if you are interested in seeing it, look at the web site listed.

I have had some problems with the front wheel seals, but everytime I check the front end it never appears to need any fluid added so the leaks must be small but do leave spots on the garge floor. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login