Go Bottom Go Bottom

hour meter on jd 50 series

View my Photos
davegoodine
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-19          47768

i had my tach off the other day because it's stuck on 4000 rpm. I was checking the cable to see if that was the problem, it wasn't.I guess it's the head but my hour meter is still advancing.I don't get it, there's no other wires hooked to that thing except the lighting.Anyway's my ? along with that one is after having the tach out does the hour meter still advance with just the motor running or does the tractor have to be moving,which would make a alot of difference in actual hours wouldn't it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
BillBass

2003-01-20          47816

I have a JD950. The hour meter only has a speedometer type cable to the engine. I believe the hour meter functions basically the same as a mechanical odometer. The faster the cable turns, the faster the numbers add up. At rated PTO speed, it is geared to register 1 hour in 1 hours time. At less than PTO speed, it would register less than 1 hour in 1 hours time. Assuming the calibration is linear, it would take over 2 hours at idle to register 1 hour on the meter. ....

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-20          47819

That is a good assesment. The hidden issue is that a lot of tractors have many more hours of operation on them than they show. Electronic meters are great for correcting this. They have been(in the early years) known to keep running for several minutes after shutdown and could run if switch was left on. ....

View my Photos
davegoodine

2003-01-20          47842

i guess i still don't get why my hour meter is still advancing.. there must be 2 connections on that cable or contacts when it enters the back of the tach head..i suppose i need a new head for it but my hour meter is now gonna be wrong if i replace it, like changing the odometer reading on a car,thats if i can get one at all!so your saying in a round about way if the pto is not ingaged the meter is reading 1 hour for two actual hours of engine time. Im aware of the electronic type like the one i have on my boat which i left the key on for 2 weeks last summer, and now have 300 or so xtra hours on it. ....

View my Photos
BillBass

2003-01-20          47844

Yes, the hour meter is independent of whether the PTO is engaged or not. It is simply based on the supposed normal working rpms (i.e. rated PTO speed).
There would be separate drive mechanisms inside the housing to drive the rpm indicator vs the hour meter. But both run from the same cable. I doubt you could repair only the rpm indicator, but maybe. ....

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-20          47846

Dave,

The electronic hour meter on the 4000 ten series tractors only advance when the engine is running (regardless of RPM). I know that doesn't help you on your JD but thought maybe someone else might like to know.

Billy ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login