Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 990

View my Photos
Brad Smith
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-03-02          36009

I recently traded my 4300 (1999) for a new JD 990 with R-4's and a 430 loader.

I really like the tracor feel-the positive shifting and the smooth 4cyl - My only question is will the loader have the same lifting capacity as the 430 loader on my 4300 JD?
I also have seen no comments from other 990 owners-as stated before-it seems to be an excellent product and excellent value for the money-I wasn't all that happy with the 4300 but this new green machine seems to be all one could want in it's class!! Comments?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deere 990

View my Photos
Sams Hoggn

2002-03-03          36025

I had a 990 for almost 2 years just traded for a 4600. I loved the 990 it just was a no frills tractor. the 430 loader lifted more than I expected.I do tractor work for a living and I ran it 800 hours and only broke 2 seat springs. ....

John Deere 990

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2002-03-03          36037

Brad, the 990 uses the same 430 loader with different mounting brackets. The 4300 has a higher hydraulic system relief pressure than the 990, so you might see a slight reduction in lift capacity. I was unable to find any specs to send you. ....

John Deere 990

View my Photos
Brad Smith

2002-03-08          36175

Thanks for the comments and info-really pleased with this tractor-just seems more tractor like and capable-I use it a lot with a york rake and scraper blade-seems just the ticket!!
Thanks again. ....

John Deere 990

View my Photos
Captain B

2002-03-08          36179

Really pleased to see these comments because they confirm my assessment of the 990. I am expecting to take much-delayed delivery on one with R4s later this month. My only hesitation was collar shift versus syncho. For that reason I stared real hard at used 1070s. Decided that this is not a big drawback but still not sure--synchro seems like it would make the 990 an extremely solid package. Would like to know JD does not offer it. Assume it was a cost decision. Any feedback on the collar shift v. syncho issue? ....

John Deere 990

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-09          36206

My Ford 1710 has a 12 x 4 synchro TX. The three gears plus reverse are synchro while the four ranges aren't. I wouldn’t be without a synchro reverse if much loader work is done. I've gotten very used to being able change ground speeds on the ground speeds on the fly when using PTO implements. For example, it's handy to be able go slower when working close to obstructions and then seed up again and all without stopping. I don't think I'd like a TX much where just the reverse had synchro. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login