Go Bottom Go Bottom

Operating RPM of 4100

View my Photos
Kevin Squires
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-01          30563

I am using my 4100 for mostly landscaping lately. I guess it is the time of year. The work is almost exclusively front end loader based, picking up loam, mulch, rocks etc and moving them from place to place. When I first start my tractor, I usually raise the idle up to about 2000 RPM for a few minutes and then bring it up to 2500 or the mark on the PTO tacometer where I do my work. It generally stays there while I scoop, move dump etc...only being lowered to idle if I am leaving the machine for a few minutes. Is this typical of how most of you throttle your tractors or should I be cycling up and down depending on if I am scooping or moving etc...? Thanks, Kevin

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Operating RPM of 4100

View my Photos
Terry Senay

2001-08-01          30567

Kevin, I change my operating RPM all the time except when using the PTO. I do not remember reading anything in the operators manual about keeping the operating RPM at the PTO range except for operating the PTO. Gee, maybe I'm doing something wrong!!! ....

Operating RPM of 4100

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2001-08-01          30573

I rarely opearate my 790 over 2000 rpms - even when bushogging. The lower engine speed makes it quieter and easier to operate. I imagine if I was looking for a better cut when using a finshing mower or looking to speed up loader ops, I would be up at PTO speed. ....

Operating RPM of 4100

View my Photos
Rob Wheeler

2001-08-01          30574

I run my B2410 at 1800-2200 RPM when using the loader. I run it at PTO speed when tilling or finish mowing. ....

Operating RPM of 4100

View my Photos
Bart H.

2001-08-01          30579

Kevin;
You don't mention wether or not your 4100 has HST. So I'll offer this:
With my 4200 HST I run at PTO speed when bush-hogging, doing loader work or just about any other task.
I believe that by modulating the ground speed in balance with the task at hand I can minimize engine wear ("lugging" a diesel not a good thing) and keep the engine working in it's intended working RPM range.

Bart H. ....

Operating RPM of 4100

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2001-08-02          30581

I operate my 4100 gear tractor at a variety of engine speeds, generally using the foot throttle. I only set the throttle lever at a constant speed when using the pto and mowing. Usually I run at about 2000 RPM or slightly higher. Of course I will bump this up as the need arises. ....

Operating RPM of 4100

View my Photos
Joe A. Bell

2001-08-04          30644

The manual says to run at 2500 rpm when using the mid-mower. Either in the same manual or in the 410 loader manual, it says to run about 75 percent of max for loader work. I run my tractor (4100 HST) at 2000 when using the loader or the rear blade. I have found that 2000 is plenty of power for those uses and the fuel consumption is much less than at the max rpm of just over 2500. For other uses (such as pulling a trailer with a light load) I run at about 1800. Certainly it will not hurt the machine at the higher rpm, but why use more power than necessary? ....

Operating RPM of 4100

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2001-08-06          30673

I also meant to add that I run all PTO driven implements at 2500 RPM, and otherwise 2000 seems to work pretty well. ....

Operating RPM of 4100

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-06          30690

I Have a 4100 gear model. I usually just choose the best gear or ground speed for the task and I use the foot throttle to control the tractor. Because I live on a steep hill I just 'step on the gas' when I need more climbing power. ....

Operating RPM of 4100

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-08-06          30714

Sounds like I do it the same as most everyone else. I normally work at fairly low RPM and only run the RPM up when I need power or speed. The exception is when I am doing PTO work like mowing. Then I run it flat out. For PTO work that doesn't take much HP - like running the PTO powered pump for the backhoe - I'll even shift to a higher PTO speed and turn the throttle down to an idle. ....

Operating RPM of 4100

View my Photos
Rich Luhr

2001-08-07          30746

The thing is, with the JD 4100 or the NH TC18/21, you don't have a ton of excess horsepower. I find that 1800-2100 RPM is ideal for loader operations, but when pulling a ground-engaging implement (mower, tiller, brushhog), the little 20-hp compacts need every bit of horsepower they can eke out, especially when going uphill on my slightly sloped lot. On level ground it's not such a problem, but even my 60" 3pt mower drags down the engine when moving uphill -- consequently I pretty much have to run 2500+ when mowing and use the hydro speed control to slow down on the uphills if I want to keep the RPMs up. I would upgrade to more HP but don't really want the added weight and size of the 25+ horsepower models, so I guess I'll live with it. Hope this helps. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login