Go Bottom Go Bottom

4100 and ground engaging devices

View my Photos
gws
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-07          24012

I am in the market for a compact tractor. I trhough the JD 4100 was the correct tractor but after taking a good look at the 4100 brochure I am not sure. My main need is for a mowing several acres of grass, several more acres of bush hogging. I plan on a loader but that will more than likley be a year or two out due to cost. I also need to do some snow removal.I noticed that the 4100 has almost no ground engaging attachments on the 3point besides the tiller.No rear blade is in the options list, The little 2 row planter is not an option and disk and cultivators are not on the list. Now I didnt think I could toss a 1ft wide disk on it, but a small planter? Whats up with the rear end of the 4100? Is it capable of digging into the ground? I have no immediate needs for ground engaging but being able to bust some soil would be nice as would a rear blade.What can really be put on the 3pt and why isnt JD saying there own items can?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Joe A. Bell

2001-02-07          24014

I own a JD4100, and yes John Deere doesn't list many attachements for the machine. However, there are plenty of other companies that do. After all buying John Deere attachements is more expensive anyway so why mess with them, except of course for the JD loaders. I have a five foot rear blade from Monroe Tufline that weighs 386 lbs. The tractor pulls it nicely. In fact, by tilting the blade I can use it as a plow, and it works fine. There ae also small plows, harrows, spreaders, etc., that I have seen on various equipment sites. I think few attachements are supplied by JD for the 4100 because the market for the smallest of the JDs is relatively small. I will say that I have absolutely no complaints about my tractor. I have a front loader that works great (I have moved about 27 yards of dirt with it), and I have cleared a lot of snow (14") this past December and the little tractor worked great. If I were in the market again, I would buy the 4100 (I only have 3 acres to maintain). ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2001-02-07          24024

I have a 4100 with R4 tires and I use the following implements with no problem at all: 54" box blade, 5' rear scraper blade, 14" one bottom plow, small subsoiler, spike-tooth harrow, 52" rototiller. I can't figure out what Deere is talking about the small planter not used for the 4100. Seems like just about anything could pull that dinky planter. I have really done heavy-duty ditching and dirt work with my implements with good performance by my 4100. You do need to use about 200# of front weights to be really effective pulling a plow or cutting ditches. But that's something applicable to any tractor. I would say that the 4100 will handle any implement that is properly sized to the tractor (4wd really helps the performance). The reason that Deere doesn't recommend their rear blade is that the Deere blade is only sold as a 7' model. ....

View my Photos
JonB

2001-02-08          24026

GWS, count me as another ground engaging JD 4100 fan. My box scraper is about 450 lbs., (usually with scarifiers down at the start of a job). It also handles a post hole digger w/ 12" auger, a middle buster (with various flyers and furrows attached). The furrows are used for laying pipe and plowing. But I'm still shopping for the perfect tiller and rock rake. I've moved tons of earth and rock with the loader and box. My 3pt mower is a flail mower/shredder weighing around 650 lbs. The 4100 seems perfect for me, although you should evaluate all the great machines against your needs. My only Deere implement is the loader. Best of luck. JonB ....

View my Photos
J. Chambers

2001-02-16          24291

I have a 4100 and wondering if there is a disc anyone could recommend,and how many weights to use with it.Also, how about any aftermarket 60 in. belly mowers for this J.D.?Prices would also be appreciated. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2001-02-16          24299

Jchambers, I have a 4100 and initially was also looking for a disk. They do make them in sizes that would work for the 4100. BUT, from my research I found out that these smaller, lighter discs are not all that functional and require repeated passes to work. I bought a 52" rototiller instead. This is the answer -it just tears through hard ground like nothing. I normally use a 14" one bottom moldboard plow first, then rototill. As to the aftermarket mower. I assume you're referring to a mid-mount. Woods makes mid-mounts to fit most tractors, but they are not any cheaper than the JD brand, so I don't see any advantage to them. The only way to save money on a mower is to go to a 3 point mower. Those are about 1/3 cheaper than a mid-mount. ....

View my Photos
J. Chambers

2001-02-19          24372

Thanks for disc advice...I have about 2.5 acres of front yard to prep for grass seeding in spring.Any advice on what I could use to rough up hard clay(central ohio)in prep to seeding in spring?I"m wanting a tiller,not yet however.I thought about a box scraper,then landscape rake.Any ideas and round figure prices would help. ....

View my Photos
DanaT

2001-02-19          24395

Jim, Can you tell me what you give for your 1-14" plow? If my 4300 will pull a 2-14 I will have the other to sell.
Yard preperation- If you can rent a pulverizer to tear up your soon to be lawn it will level some at the same time. I bought one last fall and did several yards with it. I won't be tilling very often for seeding grass anymore. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2001-02-19          24399

jchambers, I'm not sure about the pulverizer that Dana is talking about. Never seen one except in a catalog. What I would do is use a box blade with scarifiers to do rough leveling and contouring, then by all means use a rototiller to do the final prep. If you set the rear gate all the way down, the tiller will leave a fine textured clod-free soil, all level and smoothed out. Can't beat it. I would go this route even if I had to rent the tiller at this time. Dana, my 1-14 plow is an old antique, so I couldn't give you a value. It's actually old enough and patched together enough that I would like to replace it someday. The only price checking I have done is some of the online sites. Tractor supply company has one for about $225. Other places are similar in price. If you still have yours in a few months, email me with a price. Don't know if the freight costs would work or not. Can't think about buying anything for awhile. Just took delivery of my new 410 loader. My wife would not be too amused about another tractor-related purchase right now. ....

View my Photos
J. Chambers

2001-02-20          24411

Thanks for advice Jim.I think i might get tiller and try that idea.What kind is your 52" tiller and how much?TSC I believe has a 50" for $999. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2001-02-20          24460

My 52" tiller is a Woods brand. I am very happy with it's performance and quality, but I don't think I would buy it new. It has a list price of $2000 (wow), but I bought a gently used one for $1100. When I was shopping, the unit I was most impressed with value-wise was a King Kutter brand. Their 50" tiller goes for about $1000 new and the one I saw was very rugged looking. The only problem is we have no local distributor for this brand and freight on these things makes non-local purchase unfeasible. So I ended up with a used Woods brand. One thing to consider is to ask your dealer if they have any used rentals for sale. I've also looked at the the Tractor Supply Company tiller on the website, but like I said, freight costs kinda rules out these long distance purchases. These things weigh about 400# plus. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
J. Chambers

2001-02-21          24477

The one at TSC for $999 is a 60" not a 50"....also have a 48" for $949.I have been thinking about the 50" landpride for $1595. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2001-02-21          24517

That sounds like a good way to go. Landpride makes excellent high quality equipment. I have their 54" boxsraper and the 5' blade. They are very rugged. I'm sure their tiller is too. A tiller around 50" is just right for the 4100. My 52" one seems ideal. I wouldn't consider a 60" tiller at all. I'm sure that it would operate, but would probably be underpowered in tough conditions. Also, if you didn't have a FEL, you would need lots of weight to keep the front end down with a 60" tiller. ....

View my Photos
Dave Wells

2001-02-22          24566

Jim,

Thanks for the info re: tillers versus discs. I'd been thinking about getting a disc, after deciding NOT to get a tiller, but after reading of your experiences I think I'll go back to my original idea - a good, strong 50"-ish tiller. I'm also pleased to hear that you have the landpride and like it - I have a couple of Landpride dealers around here, ought to be able to find something used...Besides, I'm ready to try Landpride's 3PT quick hitch (QH-15), so perhaps a deal can be made!

I have a Landpride scarifier (SF2566) and landscape rake (LR15-60) - both 5foot (60 inch) units. They're pretty heavy duty. I don't think I'm gonna have to worry about breaking either one with my li'l 4100 !

Thanks again for the info.

Dave Wells ....

View my Photos
david godollei

2001-02-23          24625

I know this isn't ground engaging, but do any of you have any experience with brush hogs on a 4100? How big? How well do they work with the 4100? ....

View my Photos
J. Chambers

2001-02-26          24690

I have a J.D. 413 rotary cutter i bought new when i got my 4100 and I had no problem cutting about 3 acres of waist high weeds and brush. ....

View my Photos
JonB

2001-02-26          24736

David G, my dealer said he sold Bush Hog brand rotary mowers with the JD 4100, although I bought a 3PH flail mower/shredder instead. It weighs about 650 lbs and mows, cuts and shreds weeds and branches easily--so I can't see why a 4100 couldn't handle a rotary mower. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
david godollei

2001-02-27          24749

Thanks for the replies. JD recomends the 413, which is 48". I have a line on a good used 60". Has anyone used one that large on the 4100? Is it too big? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login