Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 970 compact tractor-

View my Photos
Richco
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2019-03-13          198242

Iwas plowing snow with my tractor. Tractor started running a little rough. Since I never ever had any trouble with the engine in 20some odd years and approx. 2500 hrs., I thought I was getting some fuel gel, since when I quit plowing it was 6 deg.. Got some 911 in the fuel pronto, seemed to clear up a little till the end of the night when it started running a little rough again. Changed out and cleaned and replaced all fuel filters twice.Thought problem gone. Problem started again but started showing up as after I started tractor up to let it warm, it would not start again till I let in set, mostly overnight, then would start and run continually till I shut it off. Started research, talk to dealer, look on net.Problem seems to be electrical and having to do with the fuel solenoid. The roughness in idle I think I was experiencing was the full solenoid not be held in, thus starting to starve for fuel. After talking to dealer and him telling me that they haven't sold a solenoid for alot of years at any of their three locations, and looking on net, JDGreen and others,I ended up replacing the Time Delay Fuel Module. Can't say I wasted money, tractor seemed to turn over better than before, and it was far from hard starting,But, now tractor got to the point where it will not start at all without holding in fuel solenoid. When solenoid is held in it starts immediately, and runs normal till I release it. Also, all connections that I take apart are getting greased with dielectric grease. Corrosion does not seem to be a problem at this point. Does not seem to be any varmint damage. Battery is new this year, along with a new ground cable Had person here helping me test out yesterday with info from dealer. Dealer gave me info for 790 but I'm assuming the electrical is same for 970. None the less what we found.After the 1.5 sec pull in to start, no juice coming into solenoid. tested on back side of female connection.Dealer checked seat switch for me when I took it in, said good, pto engaged shuts off tractor, gear shift engaged shuts off tractor, don't think a switch problem. Jumped backside same female connection and started immediately.2 left Relays seem to be good after testing out. Dealer says weak solenoid. No problem spending money if that is problem. HELP! also best place to buy complete detailed set of repair manuals and schematics

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 970 compact tractor-

View my Photos
jdgreen

2019-03-13          198245

The 790 and 970 are the same circuits if the 970 is a later serial number. Earlier serial numbers were slightly different. If you have no power to the solenoid after the initial 1.5 second pull in signal, then I don't think the solenoid is the problem. The power for the hold in circuit is coming from the delay module. Since that is new, I assume that is good. The delay module has to get a signal from the seat switch, pto switch and gearshift neutral switch to operate properly. If all the switches are good and the delay module is good, then there must be a wiring issue or a bad ground. Make sure the delay module is getting a good ground and also getting full 12 volts. Low voltage can cause problems too. Is battery fully charged and alternator working? ....

JD 970 compact tractor-

View my Photos
Richco

2019-03-16          198251

Thank you JDGreen for responding. Did additional testing today. Had resistance from ground on battery, cleaned, fixed, checked, ok. Tightened belt which was new last year. Checked resistance at trans neutral & pto switches, resistance-2. Rechecked seat switch, resistance 200. Got reading on one side of switch and nothing on other side. Left to right, not top to bottom, but we were unable to jump out switch, and make it start, ?. Again tractor will start if solenoid is held in. My electrician helper told me to replace the seat switch. Will order on Monday. Dealer said seat switch good, but problem was gradually getting worse. They may have tested it when it was still partially or intermittently working. ....

JD 970 compact tractor-

View my Photos
jdgreen

2019-03-16          198252

I doubt the seat switch is the problem. If transmission and pto is in neutral, you can start tractor without sitting in the seat. The seat switch keeps it running after started and transmission or pto is put into gear. Another thought has occurred to me. DO you have mid pto? If not, then there is a wire connector in harness on left rear side of transmission that would be connected to the mid pto neutral switch. When there is no mid pto, there should be a small loop wire plugged into that connector to bypass that switch that isn't there. If that wire got knocked off somehow or the connection is corroded, that could be your problem. I am attaching a part diagram showing that loop wire connector, #30 in diagram. ....

JD 970 compact tractor-

View my Photos
jdgreen

2019-03-16          198253

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors JD 970 compact tractor-

JD 970 compact tractor-

View my Photos
Richco

2019-03-20          198257

970- still can't find problem. Today, checked jumper cable in back for unconnected mid pto. Checked out for continuity, also key mistakenly left on to the right and as I put jumper back in, solenoid was clicking in and out. Checked battery, fully charged at 12.02. Started tractor by holding in solenoid, read voltage coming into battery. Started out at 12.10 and slowly climbed to 12.40 over a span of 10 seconds till we quit checking voltage. ? I even spayed lubricant in key switch and used a new JD key to see if something could possibly not be making contact. Solenoid was jumpered out before and it started, but if need be I will jumper out as suggested. In case I didn't mention it before. relays tested and thought to be good and even switched the 2 same side front to back, no difference. don't know what the other 2 other relays or what ever they are next to the relays are for. I appreciate the help. ....

JD 970 compact tractor-

View my Photos
jdgreen

2019-03-24          198263

Here is a wiring diagram. Not sure if it is clear enough to be helpful. ....

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors JD 970 compact tractor-

JD 970 compact tractor-

View my Photos
Richco

2019-04-25          198360

Thanks for the info jdgreen. I'm slow to reply because I had to wait for people to help me. Tested and checked as you said, also alternator didn't seem that it was working correctly because of the way it was charging. When started, started at 12.1 volts and took about 10 seconds to get to 12.4 volts. Took to my guy at G.S.Mags, Niles, Oh. He said alternator just a magnet, not the problem, probably the rectifer. Replaced and still no start. Asked him if he could get fuel selonoid, which he did, but it was 1/4" to long and would not fit in. Tired of messing with tractor and went right to JD and paid the big bucks. Replaced selonoid and relay. Tried relay first, still no start, then installed selonoid and I tasted sweet success,it started. Thanks again. ....

JD 970 compact tractor-

View my Photos
Turfguy

2019-05-16          198417

Sorry I just saw your post. I have a 970 that had the same issue. we replaced the time module once it would for a while but started doing the same thing. I think the after market modules cannot hold up because it was bad again.

This may sound crazy but I do not have the funds to keep replacing the module and I need the tractor running so I removed the electrical shut off section of the sileniod and hooked up a pull cord with a handle and a spring to hold the unit open and just use it like it is. when I need to shut it off we just pull the handle. the older 1070's ran with a similar shutoff using the throttle handle.

I have not had another problem in over a year. ....

JD 970 compact tractor-

View my Photos
Richco

2019-05-24          198433

I feel your pain with the cost of the parts. I don't feel to bad, because I told my dealer that ever since I owned my 970, probably over 25 years and 2600 hrs. of not light work, the only major thing I replaced was the hydraulic pump, 1 month out of warranty. My dealer, Cope Equipment in Kinsman,Oh. also gave me a hand with that. My total cost was $175 for the JD module, $80 for aftermarket part to work with the alternater, and approx. $270 for JD selonoid & relay. I did not order the relay.but my dealer did, so I figured he was trying to tell me something, so I replaced the relay also. I gave the guy that helped me diagnois the wiring $100. One thing I might say, I may be wrong, but everytime I replaced a part, even though it wasn't my problem for the tractor not running, it seemed to run better, so I don't fill I wasted alot of money. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login