Go Bottom Go Bottom

2210 Drag Link

View my Photos
brotherhayes
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-05-21          187015

Glad to see everyone is still here. We own a 03 2210. I noticed that it was leaving a mark in the grass when I turned around the flower bed or other area when mowing. Also it went wore the tires out last year. I went and adjusted the mower height sharpen blades, you know general maintain stuff. Turns out the draglink it way to short. I must have hit it on something. Well we have a ton of toe out because of it. I can find an adjustable one. Does anyone have a suggestion? We like the tractor. The advice we got from here was spot on. Hoping to get this handled. New stock ones are expensive. Any ideas on best places to get one? Thanks guys

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

2210 Drag Link

View my Photos
brotherhayes

2013-05-21          187016

I meant we can not find one

Typo ....

2210 Drag Link

View my Photos
hardwood

2013-05-22          187018

The drag link, I'm assuming you mean the cross tie rod between the front wheels behind the front axle. I find it hard to believe that Deere couldn't supply one, and yes it will be expensive for the genuine article.
Have you looked into straightening the old one? Unless it is really twisted up or something nasty it should be an easy straighten with some heat, an anvil, and a hammer.

Frank. ....

2210 Drag Link

View my Photos
brotherhayes

2013-05-22          187022

Thanks Frank. Yes that's the part. Some call it a tie rod. Some call it a center link or a drag link. Like I said it seems like you could find an adjustable one, but I couldn't. I was nervous to bend it back cause I didn't want to work one area real hard and end up snapping it. So I cut it. It's hollow as suspected. Made a dowel and a sleeve. Welded the dowel inside and then slid the sleeve over it all and welded that.. Looks ugly but hopefully it will hold up. Better than 218.00. Does anyone know the torque on the top nut that holds center link up? If I mess up and is wears out the hole I will be in a world of hurt and 218 will seem small Thanks in advance ....

2210 Drag Link

View my Photos
hardwood

2013-05-23          187026

B Hayes;
I'm glad you got it repaired. No, I wouldn't know the torque of those nuts, I would just snug them up good and keep an eye on them that they don't wiggle a bit when you steer the tractor. Long as they don't move in the hole they shouldn't wear the hole in the stering arm.

Frank. ....

2210 Drag Link

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-05-23          187040

I would think a good shop could cut and replace the bent part with no problem. At same time install adjustment in there. Having said that you "may" get take the old one to a good parts store where the people know parts and they may have one that will work for you. My suggestions would be parts store that also sold or repaired tractors or such as NAPA.

Do you have any idea how it got bent? ....

2210 Drag Link

View my Photos
brotherhayes

2013-05-23          187043

Thanks guys. Still would like to know torque value but I will figure it out. I believe that since the wheels have so much steering capability as far as l to r over time as I am mowing the ditches and such while turning I put way to much load on it. Slowly over time it bent. I finally noticed it. So now I have a fix that should work as long as I don't over stress it. Now myself and lawn will be happy ....

2210 Drag Link

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-05-24          187057

Been long time since I replaced tire rods on a car and did not know what a torque wrench was then but it was simple as Frank said, tighten them firm and on mine then install cotter key.

I worked for major heavy equipment manufacturer for about 10 years in all kinds of position from Manufacturing Engineering to Quality Control and very few bolts were torqued using a torque wrench, very few. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login