Go Bottom Go Bottom

snow plow tension springs

View my Photos
Lwayne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-28          147478

Question: When adjusting the tension of the springs on a snow plow where do you measure to meet the specs? My manual says 15" from the inside of the hook on one end to the inside of the hook on the other end. Does that mean from the inside of the rounded part that goes through the loop or does it mean where the hook actually comes to an end? The former doesn't seem right as the thickness of the spring itself isn't that great so why not just say outside to outside? But some disagree with me. To use the latter would make a 2 1/2" inch difference. I could contact the manufacturer but I've done that on different occasions and they just say to contact my dealer. The dealer is the one who installed it (measuring to the inside of the loops) so I already know their opinion. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

snow plow tension springs

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-28          147486

Are you talking about the trip springs? If yes then that is a target but not necessarily a spec IMHO. Springs vary from spring to spring so it follows will the tension based on just a measurement.

What I would do is set it up according to whomever's opinion but relatively equally for all of them. Then simulate pushing snow in the dirt and see if you like the way it feels. The plow should be able to hold it's own and not flop forward under moderate to heavy use. The more it flops forwad the less it will plow and the harder it will be to plow. A plow needs to shear, lift and roll the material out of the way. A poor set up will have the cutting edge scrape with little to no lift and roll. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login