Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4200 clutch shifting hard

View my Photos
jdmoore
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-04-20          110153

I have a 1999 4200 with collar shift, I have a problem with shifting. gears grind real bad J D dealer said this was normal, sure doen't sound normal or good.
Any help

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-21          110160

If this is a new problem to the tractor then it may indicate that the clutch needs to be adjusted or replaced. ....

View my Photos
MWilliams@sumitomoel

2005-04-21          110175

I have a 1999 4200 collar shift also and it has had the same problem since I first bought it. The gears are not sychronized and do have the tendacy to grind, especially if the tractor is moving. Having a wet clutch keeps the shaft turning longer and I have to wait longer befor changing gears. It does not grind as bad after getting hot, I guess the fluid has less viscosity then. I have had this tractor for 4 years and have had good service from it other than having to clean hyd screens and chang fluid and filters. ....

View my Photos
DirtRod

2005-05-15          111073

I had the same problem with my 4200 and the same model year. We also got the same line from the dealer about the collar shift grinding because it has no syncro rings. After getting a different dealer to do a computer search for issues on the 4200 we found it was a problem that John Deere was aware of. The fix was an upgraded/improved set of clutch disc’s, part number YZ80966 and about $150. I did the installation; it does require a special tool which may keep many people from doing it themselves. You still will need to come to a complete stop to change gears but what a huge improvement! I was about ready to sell the tractor prior to the new clutch. I’m now completely pleased with the 4200.
This is not to say that you make have adjustment or other problems.

View my Photos
mbis57

2016-01-14          194322

I know you posted this back in May but was wondering what kind of special tool you needed to do the clutch job.

Thanks ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2016-01-15          194333

The post you replied to is actually over 10 years old. Not sure he is still an active member. The special tools needed would be a special JD tool JDG1259. It is a special jig that bolts on the transmission housings used to measure clutch and housings to determine shim pack for proper clutch operation. You use it in conjunction with a depth micrometer. Other special tools would be jacks, stands, blocks, etc, to split the tractor. ....

View my Photos
heidebill

2018-03-06          197551

I have a 1999 JD 4200 , The clutch does not work properly, The only way to get it in gear from neutural is to turn off the engine, with the hand on the shift lever , start the engine and jam it into gear before the engine is running, As long as I don't go to neutural it works, Plus the Hydraulic filter was full of fine black particulate , I want to change my clutch, Dealer P/N YZ80967
Any suggestions, Any procedures , videos , Thanks , Bill ....

View my Photos
heidebill

2018-03-06          197554

I have a copy of the Shimming procedure, A bit of work, But not to bad, The Tool from the local dealer is about $500. If they wont rent me theirs , I will build my own, If you want the a copy of the pdf I can send it to you, ....

View my Photos
garyrnorth

2020-07-26          199532

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidebill | view 197554
I have a copy of the Shimming procedure, A bit of work, But not to bad,The Tool from the local dealer is about $500. If they wont rent me theirs , I will build my own,If you want the a copy of the pdf I can send it to you,

Hello, I am new to this forum. Googled 4200 clutch and this thread came up.
I have a 4200 That I recently purchased at auction in anticipation of purchasing some out of town property to move to. . It has 2nd and third gear shifting problems. I have split the tractor thinking it was a shifting fork problem. There is also a lot of black soot in the bottom of the reservoir so my plan is to get into the clutch and also look at the brakes.
You mentioned that you have the clutch adjusting procedure on PDF. Would it be possible
To obtain that from you ? If you had to build the tool might I get a picture or 2 of that tool? I am at the point of making the second split of the tractor and as of yet I am flying blind. (With many years of mechanical experience)
Any PDF of the transmission shifting mechanism would also be very helpful.
I know it is a lot to ask and I would be eternally grateful!
Regards Gary in Ohio

View my Photos
gwanda

2022-02-24          200890

I too, have the 4200 clutch problem . I took it to a dealer in Tioga, PA to have it fixed. They said a switch was needed to be replaced. Weeks later I picked up the tractor, took it home, and would not go into 2nd gear. I called them again, they picked it up again, weeks later they said they could not fix it, so they by-passed the switch to start it in gear. I believe it was over $1500.00 for this service, and I don't believe they refunded the price of the switch that didn't work. Over $100.00. However, I like it now that I can start the tractor, (in gear), no more clanging and scraping gears. I'm 0ver 78 years old, drove many tractors, farming, mostly John Deere, bought many tractors, but no more John Deere equipment. ....

View my Photos
garyrnorth

2022-02-24          200891

Hello,
I apologize for not posting a followup.
I have a 4200 tractor with the SST synchronized 3 speed transmission.
When I split the third housing I found that the bearings on both ends of the
transmission cluster shaft had worn considerably causing the transmission to only shift and work in 1st and reverse AND only when I pressed hard on the shifter to keep it in gear.
There is the transmission mainshaft with the three forward and the reverse gear and then there is the cluster shaft which keeps all in motion...Almost exactly like a Muncie 4 speed trans out of a 69 zz-28 camaro.
The balls in the ball bearings (RUSSIA MFG by the way) were worn almost in half of their original diameter. This caused the shift forks to be out of alignment and to not allow shifting into 3rd and second gears.
I fixed the bearings and found new used synchronizer "brass Rings" at an automotive transmission shop.
The clutch appered to be just fine so all was cleaned and reassembled and the trans works great now. Although it is a synchronized transmission I will not upshift it on the fly ...Just because I do not wish to take it apart again.
regards gary

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login