Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4400 Hyd 4x4 Problems

View my Photos
Chris Williams
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-17          17283

I have read about some problems with the front axle. Could someone please tell me how I can check to see if I have the defective axle. Does the scuffing only occur in 4x4? Also please tell me about other problems I read about such as the transmisson on the Hydro's and others. I have been very happy with my tractor so far (55 hrs), but if there are repairs that need to be made, I want to get it done under warranty. I just found this site. This message board is great! Its good to have a place to get info besides the dealer.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-06-19          17323

Hi Chris, I do not own a 4000 series yet. But have a 4700 on order and hope to be driving it in a week or two. When I ordered the 4700 in early May, I was awear of just a few problems. I ordered the re-designed front axle. The old X has two hydrolic cylinders (one on each side) and the new only has one on the right side and was a bother in 2 or 4wd. The old Transmissions had spacer washers that were not hardend, they were soft and wore excessively. The dash glass or plex-glass fogged very easily and was changed. The Hydrolic pumps had some problems, not filtering dust correctly and were up-dated. I'm not sure if these problems were faced by all 4X series or not and there may have been other problems I have missed. I think John Deere is addressing all of these and maybe other problems. I am in hopes the 4700 I have ordered comes through without any further problems. David ....

View my Photos
Bob Herman

2000-06-19          17330

To all: I received my JD 4400, 430 FEL, 47 Hoe last October. Kept after my dealer regarding axle (mine as delivered came with the 'old' design). A dealer representative did attend the meeting in Augusta months ago. Initially they indicated 'no problems known', at the meeting their take away was that the problem in the midwest had 'scuffing' issues - we live in NW PA. Over a month ago my dealer received an EMail that JD was sending a new front axle. My tractor was picked up last Tuesday and returned Saturday. The new front axle was installed plus a new power steering pump and hydraulic pump (to the dealer's surprise-additional parts were sent by JD with the axle). $550 labor covered by dealer and JD. At same time I had a new Commercial 60" belly mower installed. Big difference with new axle almost no scuffing in full lock turns on loose gravel - I did a before and after test. This board is great, thanks to all - I have given the CTB URL to my dealer. Generally with info from the CTB, I am usually better informed than my dealer. Best regards, Bob Herman. ....

View my Photos
DavidUSMC

2000-06-20          17340

Chris, I am using info gathered from this site. Chuck Westerfield did a post describing the old axle vs new. Quite simply, the old axle had two pistons one to each side, the new axle has one piston with a connecting rod. One post I read said that when Deere designed the first axle they made it stout enough for loader work . When commercial groundskeepers mowed with it they encountered the scuffing problem. I guess Deere figured when they first addressed the issue that if you didnt have the belly mower, your were not going to mow so, why replace a very stout axle that was perfectly functional. Now, as best I can understand, everyone is getting the new axle.
Read the posts from Mike S, he has had the most difficulties that were all taken care of under warranty. He has promised that when he has the time he will post all of his experiences. He's been great with info. Hope this info helps.

View my Photos
Bruce Brogan

2000-10-31          21061

chris there may be a update for your PTO to get more oil on the clutch pack. but it would depend on the age & serial number of your tractor. right now JD has it as fix as fail problem but I would push to get it done . ....

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2000-10-31          21073

In reply to the JD 4000 series axle problem,I purchased a new JD 4400 this past June and I did not know about this board,nor did I know about the scuffing issue,and yes my tractor has the old design axle(manufactured 11/1999).Is John Deere recalling the tractors with the old design?My service manager did not even know what I was talking about when I asked him about the scuffing issue and redesigned axle,(at 2 different dealers),I even pointed it out to someone that worked there (2 different tractors with 2 different axles designs)and he said " I wonder why they done that" referring to the different designs. I told him there is a scuffing issue and John Deere is changing the design.So I dont think everyone is automatically getting a new axle.From the sounds of things you still have to do some convincing to someone that there is a problem.I honestly do not think anyone at these 2 dealers close to where I live that I deal with is aware of a axle redesign/suffing issue.Is it that important if you are not doing some type of landscape work? I dont know whether to pursue it or just keep what I have since I dont mow lawns with my tractor. Which axle is the strongest and most durable? ....

View my Photos
Bruce Brogan

2000-11-05          21241

if you do not use your 4400 for mowing than I sugest that you stay with the axle you have. There is no internal and only one external change in the new axle . J.D. is only replaceing axles for people who cut grass and complain about scuffing often. The change cost for J.D.is around $ 3,600.00 so you can see why they don't notify every tracktor owner. I had my dealer change my 4200 over to the new axle I had to wait 5 months for the parts. I did notice a difrence in the steering and no more scuffing. Other than that there is no advantage to the change. And given your local dealer ignorance i would stay with your axle as is. hope I have helped ....

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2000-11-05          21242

Thanks Bruce,I think I am going to stick with what I have,I dont see where it is an issue for me. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-11-05          21252

Hillbilly--having read this forum for a year and a half (as long as I have owned by JD4400HST), it has been apparent that a number of dealers have been unaware of this scuffing problem with the front axle. Yet, their tech support (DTAC) has issued a solution bulletin on the subject and some dealers have been to meetings in regard to the lawn scuffing problem. It has been alleged on this forum that JD dealers get a yearly bonus based upon a low warranty service record and only JD dealers and their franchise owners know if this is true or not. If my dealer was aware of the front axle scuffing problem, then I would assume that all JD compact tractor dealers should have known about it. It is my understanding that in order to obtain an upgraded front end (everything between the wheels and the tractor frame, plus a new powersteering pump), it is a fix as fails situation, meaning that the person must make a formal warranty complaint and also that particular tractor must have a JD belly mower. I had no difficulty in getting the front end on my 4400 replaced (along with the brakes, transmission, PTO, dash glass and some PIP upgraded linkages). I will disagree that if you don't have a mower that it is not an issue since the trade-in value or resale value will probably be higher on your tractor if it has the upgraded front end--at least there have been a couple of postings on this forum to that effect. Mike S. ....

View my Photos
Randy Cooper

2000-11-06          21261

Bruce - My JD 4500 4x4 entered the shop last week for the axle replacement. The issue of scuffing was not my major concern, but the R4 tires are wearing badly on the inside with only 67 hours on the tractor. Randy ....

View my Photos
Russ Jarvis

2001-02-25          24683

Agree with Mike S. I use my 4400 primarily on turf but also on hard surfaces such as concrete and macadam. In 2WD the old axle would leave heavy (I mean **HEAVY**) rubber on these hard surfaces whenever the wheel was moved from straight ahead. It was worse in 4WD. I really think that the folks who continue to use the old axles will experience accelerated tire wear. Tires are not cheap. Kudos to my dealer who worked very hard to get me a new axle in minimum time. Kudos to this board for being instrumental in pressuring JD to acknowledge their error and replace a poorly designed front axle. Russ ....

View my Photos
LenCravens

2009-01-09          159241

So what exactly is this "scuffing"? Is it a sound or a vibration?
Was this a problem only with mower deck attached?
Was it a problem in the earlier models (1998,1999) that was remedied in later models (2000,2001)? ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-09          159243

Post further comments on this in the other thread so as to not have 2 threads going on the same subject please.

Thanks. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login