Go Bottom Go Bottom

Expanded metal attached to ROPS

View my Photos
Damon Brantley
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-10          17086

In another thread it was mentioned using a piece of plywood attached to a ROPS to provide protection from flying chains or cables or straps when pulling something.I had been giving to some thought to getting some expanded metal and attaching to my ROPS with some U bolts. Has anyone else done something like this and would this supply reasonable protection without affecting the saftey of the ROPS.Since this provides visibility you could leave it permanently attached with the possible inconvenience of not being able to adjust the toplink while in the seat.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Damon Brantley

2000-06-10          17087

Oops. I forgot to set the section before I posted. Hopefully the board owner could properly set the category to Tractor Use.

It might be nice to add a new category Tractor Saftey to address general safety questions. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-06-10          17092

Damon, I wouldn't worry about affecting the safety of the ROPS by attaching something with U-bolts; that's the way my canopy (installed by the dealer) is attached to the ROPS. ....

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2000-06-10          17099

Damon, Ya that was my corny idea. But was based on the fact that I have a Farmi winch for winching and skidding logs. It has a guard mounted to the back of it with expanded metal as the protective screen area. The guard separates the driver seat area from where the action is happening and is approx. the size of the ROPS. Cable is capable of spring back or launching an object at the operator if he's in the operators seat, although I rarely sit there when winching. It's also wise to secure the cable on a lower pulley for this and other reasons when skidding. I think yours is a good idea. I do try not to make permanent alterations to my own tractors with the exception of the bucket (I weld the heck out of it for all sorts of things). ....

View my Photos
dazarooney

2011-02-22          176952

I had the same question, thanks for the info. ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-02-22          176967

I'd attach it with ring clamps or somesuch rather than bolts. That will give it "give" if something hits it, make it simple to remove when not needed, and not weaken the supports. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login