Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4020 Starting System

View my Photos
ronald65
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-10-20          157389

Any one have a schematic for 12/24 volt starting system.Neighbor has one that won't crank after replacing one Battery,says the other one is Good.Thanks; Ron

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4020 Starting System

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-10-20          157393

Ronald; I had a 4010 with the same weird system, but I don't have a schematic anymore. My experience with replacing one battery in a two battery system has never been too good, seemed like the other old one just took the new one down to nothing. There are a ton of other things that can be wrong, but putting both batteries in new might be the solution. Frank. ....

JD 4020 Starting System

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-21          157414

Ron, Frank is right about the batteries from what we've seen, one follows the other! The hard part of testing these batteries is there are not to many testers that can put enough load on them to give an acurate test without using a carbon pile battery tester.

They are basically a simple system but I'm at the same point as Frank, never needed a wiring diagram to get one figured out! ....

JD 4020 Starting System

View my Photos
ronald65

2008-10-21          157415

Thanks Guys; But Neighbor has removed som wires from start switch. There are broken wires,Cut off wires replaced wires in the loom to Starter. Switch is bad(intermittent in crank position, but even when & if they can get new switch,Tgere are too many things I don't know without a schematic. There is Bat A;Bat B; ST; Gen; LT and another LT terminals on Switch.The only one I can trace is Heavy Blue wire from ST term to what I think is a C/B on Solenoid.I Have a Typical Picture of the System in one of my books, But I need Actual Colors of wires & where They GO .I"ll try the IT manual when I get one. Thanks, Ron ....

JD 4020 Starting System

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-10-22          157438

Ronald; The newest 4010 is well over 40 years old. given the age and condition you describe of the wiring harness the only real solution is to strip all the old stuff out and start over, switches, battery cables, ground cables, relays, etc, etc.. This will be pricey from Deere, but they would likely print out a schematic for you. I think??? the later 4020's went to an alternator and all twelve volt syatem replacing the 12/24 system on the 4010's and early 4020's, so be sure to have a serial number to take along. Frank. ....

JD 4020 Starting System

View my Photos
jdgreen

2008-10-25          157488

Another option is to install a 12 volt conversion kit. You add a 12 volt starter and alternator along with some minor wiring changes to cconvert ot a "normal" 12 volt system. Around $600.00 from ytmag.com. http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/store/parts/convcat.htm. I'll see if I can find a schematic for you. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login