Go Bottom Go Bottom

Model suggestions

View my Photos
gobyguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-07-21          155484

Hello,

I'm in the market for my first tractor. I'm considering JD because the brand runs in my wife's family and our local dealer has a good reputation. However, I am just now beginning my research and welcome all suggestions. With that in mind, I am looking for suggestions on specific JD models to consider for the following needs:

113 acres: 15 pasture/remainder wooded. Moderate slope, from 6-15%

Primary purpose is wilidlife/timber management.

The 15 acres will be managed for bobwhite quail. As such, I will do occasional rotary cutting and some initial herbicide spraying to get rid of the fescue. I will also have to do some light-moderate disking for edge feathering to encourage weedy growth. Disking will be (mostly) in 30 ft wide strips of most 100-200 ft long around the perimeter of the pasture.

We will be doing Timber management in the woods. This will mostly involve thinning trees. Thus, we'll need to haul out wood, either by skidding or cut to firewood length. We need to get back into the woods. We'll also use a rotary mower to maintain existing logging roads.

We'll also use the tractor for general work around the property, such as hauling rock, moving light snow off the driveway, etc. No haying of any sort planned for now or future. We may want to rent a backhoe at some point in the distant future, but not essential. We may also need to put in fence posts for about 1000 ft of fence at some point in the future. Fencing much more likely than backhoe. We will also till a garden, say about 40 ft by 20 ft (that's probably too large but one never knows).

We know we want a heavy-duty FEL suitable to load a pickup, a small disk-harrow (5-6 ft across) for disking, a medium-duty rotary cutter (e.g., MX-5) and probably a small (e.g., 40-42 rotary tiller). Other suggestions welcome.

Based on this information, and any other information you request, I would appreciate your suggestions for specific JD (or other brand) tractors. Ideally, I'd like to get the tractor/loader for under $20,000.

Thank you for your time.

GG

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Model suggestions

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-22          155513

looks like a duplicate. ....

Model suggestions

View my Photos
gobyguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-07-22          155514

It is a duplicate. I was not even logged in when the dupe was posted. Go figure! :) ....

Model suggestions

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-22          155520

Gremlins ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login