Go Bottom Go Bottom

Orange owner with Green question

View my Photos
johnfundy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-01          107090

I currently own orange, but I want a CUT w/ FEL and ran accross this 4100 Deere. It's a 1999, virtually new with 100 hours, and includes a model 410 FEL, RMM (aftermarket) and rear blade. Asking price is $10K. This is a gear tractor. Is it true this unit does not have live mid PTO? My main work is mowing, and I thought about selling the RMM and buying a Deere MMM, but if mid PTO is dead, this is bad idea.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

JF

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-02          107119

You are correct, PTO is dead and so is the value of that tractor. With hydor trans it is live. Gear 4100 are very hard to get rid of and it seems many are for sale. I wonder why? ;) That price is too high for what it is. Someimes going cheap really costs you at resale time. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-02          107127

Yup. If you push in the clutch on a 4100 Gear the PTO's wind down.

That said, it has an amazing range of ground speeds that helps out a little on the plus side, and you can't stall the darn things. I used to drive mine up the front steps.

I have read several accounts on this forum of folks mowing with this model with complete satisfaction, but I think each of them had only used a Gear trans and learned to use it well. They didn't have HST experience to compare it to.

Anyone with some HST experience would find the "manual of arms" for this tractor needlessly complicated.

Denwood is right, they are very slow movers on the used tractor market, and should be priced accordingly.

View my Photos
johnfundy

2005-03-02          107170

Regarding 4100 gear tractor again:

Thanks for the feedback. Are you guys telling me the mid PTO AND rear PTO are both dead? Or is it just the mid PTO that is dead? If both are dead, then I will not place a bid. However, if the rear is a live PTO, then I'll make an offer, although much, much lower than $10K. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-02          107171

I don't know if dead is the right term, but they both operate the same. Both PTO's are not "live". ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-03-02          107172

Both the Mid and rear PTO's will stop when the clutch is pushed. ....

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2005-03-02          107174

Do yourself a favor and go drive the gear and the hydro models. I believe that after using both, the hydro will win hands down since you will be using it primarily for mowing and loader use. After you drive them both, you can make a much more informed decision...and remember, whenever you push in the clutch, the PTOs will slow down pretty quickly. If brush hogging for example, and the brush and weeds gets too thick, the brush hog will quit as you clutch to put it in a slower gear...so reverse to get the spot you missed, then forward in a slower gear. A big mistake on John Deere's part in my opinion. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login