Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere Gator Electrical Wiring

View my Photos
orchardgator
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-07-19          193152

Hi all

Recently I did a little spruce up on the ol gator. I added a new fuel pump, and new dump bed cylinder. The dump bed cylinder is not OE, it was something I mocked up since I didn't want to pay for the JD version.

Now whenever I turn the key to the power on position (Not start), the starter solenoid kicks in so that the starter turns with the engine. I can override the solenoid just fine by jumping across the battery, but I don't want to do that all the time.

Thats not all though. The low oil light comes on and won't shut off and while in neutral, the water overheat light comes on but turns off when in forward or reverse.

Pretty weird.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

MIke

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
korange

2015-07-19          193153

Sounds like a grounding issue, or cross powering. Maybe disconnect and isolate to see if its fuel or dump motor. Just go back and start from scratch. Temp. wire up so you can remove wires easily to find the culprit. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2015-07-20          193155

I think you have the black 6 prong plug that goes to the motor turned around. It will plug in both ways, one way it will lock in with the tab the other, it won't. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-07-20          193158

gatoraider...I am impressed how well you know gators. Have read many of your post and you give good clear thoughts. kt ....

View my Photos
orchardgator

2015-07-22          193166

I never unplugged any 6 prong black plug. The only thing electrical I replaced was the fuel pump and I checked that one. It is in correctly.

I have wires going all over the place since I wired up my bed lift. perhaps one wire is bare and providing some juice somewhere.

View my Photos
orchardgator

2015-07-22          193168

Okay

This is what I have done thus far.

I unplugged the fuel pump and turned the key. The starter solenoid shows no change in being hot.

I removed the hot and the 4 wires connected via ring terminal on the starter solenoid and when I turned the power on I got nothing coming off of the starter solenoid switch.

However, when I connected the lead from the battery to the 4 wires on a ring terminal, I got 12 volts. Somewhere I have power going from the battery to the starter solenoid through the wires on the ring terminal. Pretty weird since all the wiring looks intact. Nothing melted or broken at all. ....

View my Photos
orchardgator

2015-07-23          193169

Alright

I traced the electrical to those 4 wires on a terminal and started to look at the fuel pump.

I look more closely at the fuel pump and noticed when I tightened it down, I had hooked some wires and crimped them to the frame.

Looks like it was cross powering due to me not being careful enough.

Thanks for all the responses.

MIke ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login