Go Bottom Go Bottom

Warn multi-winch installation

View my Photos
brownfroy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-07-15          172313

Hello, all.

I've bought a Warn 3500 and multi-winch kit to install on my XUV 850D. I will be able to use the winch in the front or back of the Gator.

My question: Where should I mount the contactor? This is the electrical "junction box". Given that the kit came with all the wiring (lengths, colors, etc.), unless you've done the installation, I don't think you'll be able to help me. I assume everything will fit if mounted in the correct place. The issue is where is the correct place.

Thanks much for your help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-07-15          172314

Call Warn customer service. Having owned many a winch, if you're referring to what used to be the relay box, it was installed either ON the winch or very close to it. To make it removable, a forklift charging connector pigtail came from the relay box. A power cable from the battery had to run from the front to a corresoponding connector, and another cable and connector to the back. Be forWarned (pun intended) winches will drain a small battery in seconds---revving the engine to keep it charged with a small alternator just won't do. Consider a 1000ahr deep cycle battery and mount it onboard with some sort of isolator to prevent from discharging the vehicle battery (but it still needs to charge it). There's nothing like stuck machine with a dead battery.

To conserve power and get more pulling power out of the winch, consider a snatch block. It will double the pulling power (minus 10% for friction at the pulley), and makes the winch run cooler and last longer. ....

View my Photos
brownfroy

2010-07-16          172326

Thanks for the response, Earthwrks.

Like I said in my original post, I'm hoping to find someone who's used the kit as-bought and was successful in the installation based on the supplied directions. I'm not ready to throw in the towel and jury-rig.

I've contacted Warn, and their first suggestion (put it under the hood) won't work using the supplied wiring (lengths insufficient) and instructions to mount the contactor as close as possible to the battery.

Unless I want to carry a battery around in the dump body, having a spare battery for dedicated winch use isn't really an option. There's not an abundance of unused space in these Gators. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-07-16          172327

I don't have the same model Gator you do but on ours think you could set a much larger batter in the battery area. Don't mean with the current battery but in place of. No doubt would require mount work. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-07-16          172331

I don't know if this will help, but as I touched on I had many years of offroading in trucks and Jeeps. One trick we used to do was: mount the winch as a high up on the front as practicable to keep it out of the mud. If you knew you were going through some rough stuff, you'd get out and unspool enough cable and either throw it under and back toward the rear bumper or simply drive over it and connect to the rear bumper, then proceed. If you need to winch rearward, the cable is ready.

Another idea that Land Rover came up with 40-50 years ago, was a center-of-vehicle-mounted winch. It was very handy since it was inside the cab. It was PTO powered.

Although it was a capstan-type (like a boat uses for the anchor) the cable still ran under the vehicle and out the front or rear. A capstan gives you consistent pulling power since it never accumulates rope/cable. It's only limitation is: how much cable you have

You also need to consider weight distribution--having any weight hanging off the front end in particular changes the suspension geometry, ride, and feel/handling. All my winches were front mounted (Warn 8000's) in custon made carriers bolted and welded to the chassises. Even on a full-size extended cab truck you could feel it on the front--it felt like trying to steer a wheelbarrow with too much weight over the front tire, plus that added weight which acts as leverage takes weight off the rear tires adding to the wheelbarrow-effect.

Buuuut I'm jis' sayin', right Kenny? ....

View my Photos
brownfroy

2010-07-17          172340

I appreciate all the info and thoughts you all have provided.

However, the question remains, has anyone installed a Warn 4000 (it's not a 3500) with the Warn multi-mount kit, and where did they put the contactor such that all the cables fit?

The key cable lengths are: battery to contactor is 36", front winch plug-in to contactor is 48", rear winch plug-in to contactor is 96".

Thanks again for your advice.

Roy ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login