Go Bottom Go Bottom

Couple questions about 4x2

View my Photos
Jdgator
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-07-12          172265

I have a 2001 or 02 (can't remember) 4x2 gator. I bought the gator new. I see the secondary clutch buttons are worn bad, I see there are new ones right next to the worn ones. How do I get it to ride on the new ones?

I want to check and adjust the engine valves, what is the gap for the intake and exhaust valve? and which one is which?

I read in the book to NEVER lubricate the primary clutch, but I heard of some people doing it anyways?

Is there anything that is common to break?

Is there anything else I should check/adjust/lubricate? I use the machine everyday 6-10 hours a day 365 days a year, and I CAN NOT have this machine broke down for more than 2 hours.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-07-13          172271

First If you run your Gator wide open down a hill it may get to the other buttons on the helix. They are there to keep the clutch from opening up anymore when wide open. The buttons are replaceable. Second The intake and exhaust valves are both .005 cold. Aaahhh the intake is on the carb side and the exhaust is on the muffler side. Third You lube the clutch rollers with Superlube, available at John Deere. That's the only thing in the drive clutch that you lube. Fourth Nothing common. Fifth There are alot of items that Deere recommends you look at, they are laid out in the operators manual. If you are using the Gator as much as you are, it may be a good idea to look at the manual and go thru the list. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-07-13          172272

Wow, that comes up to about 23,000 hours on the Gator. What do you use it for?
I don't remember the exact numbers but I've heard of some really high hour Gators, but not that high. ....

View my Photos
bassman

2010-07-13          172275

If the engine is not a two stroke it cant go backwards so the other buttons are for a reversing application which a four stroke cant do only the gearbox does this. You should be able to just swap those buttons.

View my Photos
Jdgator

2010-07-13          172287

Another quick question, I ordered the kit today. How do you get the old wear pads off? ....

View my Photos
gatormaki

2010-07-14          172300

You can also get Comet GP-730A dry converter lubricant for about $18.95 a can on-line. Usually from a go-cart site. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login