Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere Gator Squeaking strut

View my Photos
johnkom
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-02-01          159999

How do I stop my 6X4 left front strut from squeaking? It appears that the spring is rubbing the strut but lubing it doesn't stop the squeaking. Driving the wife nuts.

JK

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-02-01          160000

Which one is cheaper to keep?

Seriously, you might be able to rotate the spring--dunno. It would have to be jacked with no weight on it. If it won't turn, you may need an automotive MacPherson spring compressor, then rotate it. If it won't turn but you can compress it, a piece of hard rubber--from a tire's side wall or tread used as a shim might do the trick. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2009-02-01          160001

Johnkom,

Take a look at the strut on the other side. You might see that the spring on the other side doesn't rub.

You may need to reposition the spring. There may be signs of a wear groove forming. See if you can turn the spring, or somehow reposition it to center the spring around the shock absorber. It's possible that it's out of place, or has shifted over time.

If that isn't the problem, check to see if the shock absorber hasn't been slightly bent.

New shock absorbers are about $81.00 each. I'd try something.......anything.....before paying that much for a new one.

Joel ....

View my Photos
johnkom

2009-02-01          160002

Good ideas. (The gator is definitely cheaper to maintain. :-) I'll try rotating the spring. I have a spring compressor if necessary.

Thanks

JK ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login