Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel Gator Turbo

View my Photos
NEMORAT
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-04          159072

Does anyone have the brand and part number for an after market turbo for a Yanmar engine. We retrofited the bigger engine into it, and I am wanting to put a turbo now on it. I think it is the 76 or 77 horse motor.

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Diesel Gator Turbo

View my Photos
jdkid4890
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-05          159077

what engine did you put in it and maybe a ser # to get you a part number list? ....

Diesel Gator Turbo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-05          159078

Daaaang! That's a big engine! My 3,000 lb. tractor only has 33 HP, and my big turbo skid steer has 78 HP and it weighs 8,000 lb.

Some bulldozers only have 80 HP and less.

Are you sure it's that big?

And putting a turbo on it will only add, what 15-20 HP? ....

Diesel Gator Turbo

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-01-05          159081

NEMORAT; What series Gator did you put the big engine in? Some of the early ones were underpowered, but she should have plenty now. ....

Diesel Gator Turbo

View my Photos
NEMORAT

2009-01-05          159108

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 159081
NEMORAT; What series Gator did you put the big engine in? Some of the early ones were underpowered, but she should have plenty now.

It is the 6X4. I will have to get the model off the engine block. It is about 3 - 4 inches taller than the old one. We had to cut the belly pan out of the machine and reweld a deeper pan to allow for the engine oil pan. The motor came out of a John Deere front mount mower. ....

Diesel Gator Turbo

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-06          159116

Nemo: So how did you arrive at the high horsepower figure? My quick googling showed about 20-30 hp for a front mower. Sound about right? How does that compare to what you started with? ....

Diesel Gator Turbo

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-01-06          159128

Nemo; I just gotta ask. What are you going to use all that power for, speed or pulling power? I've never saw the inside of a Gator transmission, but I bet they aren't built to stand half what you are asking it to handle. ....

Diesel Gator Turbo

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-01-06          159132

Don't miss adding seat belts. Roll bar would be good also. I think our 2 x 4 Gator has like 7 to 9 hp and at times wish it had seat belts. Yep it could use two more ponies easy. ....

Diesel Gator Turbo

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-01-07          159149

Hardwood, you are correct about the transaxle. I have a 6x4 with an Artic Cat ZR600 2 stroke motor ( around 100 hp)and the transaxle doesn't like it at all. It's good for short bursts, but nothing sustained. It heats up rather quickly. It's a pretty good rush between 7000 and 9000 where it makes power, it needs the hunk of railroad track it has for a front bumper. If you need to get to the neighbors quick that's the ticket. ....

Diesel Gator Turbo

View my Photos
NEMORAT

2009-01-07          159184

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 159116
Nemo: So how did you arrive at the high horsepower figure? My quick googling showed about 20-30 hp for a front mower. Sound about right? How does that compare to what you started with?

I apologize for the misunderstanding and the lack of knowing what I am talking about. I misunderstood what the motor insignia stood for. The motor taken out of the machine is a model 66. The one put in the machine is a 72. These are stamped on the blocks. I assumed this was the HP. I was wrong. It has to do with bore or stroke. The bigger motor is taller. The oil pan is deeper as well. The hp is probably in the 30 range.

This machine is being built for fun, not to work. I am mounting two seats in the back as well. You could say it is our hopped up "golf cart." ....

Diesel Gator Turbo

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-01-07          159187

The 66 series was in the 6x4 Gator until at least 2004,I believe, when they went to the T series Gators. The 68 and 72 series engines are in the HPX and XUV machines and could possibly be in the TH 6x4. I don't know if the horsepower changed or not but the 68 and 72 are basically the same as the 66 which was, I believe, 20 HP or less. Iam thinking the max a 68 or 72 could be in stock trim would be 25. ....

Diesel Gator Turbo

View my Photos
jdkid4890

2009-01-07          159192

Have you thought about playing with the timing? Maybe turning up the pump, if you can? You do this by taking off the fuel shut off solenoid and take off the governor cover and there you go... don’t tell the EPA if you do!!! ....

Diesel Gator Turbo

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-01-08          159194

Maybe you could get the hopped up Gator to do whellies in parades like the Shriners do with their little trikes. They have a lot of fun for a good cause. ....

Diesel Gator Turbo

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-01-08          159195

nemorat, if your gator does not have one and you are putting in additional seats, do install ROP and if possible seat belts. Then have fun. ....

Diesel Gator Turbo

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-08          159199

Nemo: If no rear seat belts, at the least install golf-cart style hand grab rails.

A buddy at a golf course was riding on a golf cart rear seat and flew out when his buddy made a sharp turn. Long story short, there were no grab rails, he spent 6 days in hospital with brain damage and won a multimillion dollar lawsuit because the golf cart had not be properly modified to carry rear passengers even though they called it a 4-passenger.

I realize this isn't your purpose, but I'd hate to hear about anyone especially a child getting hurt or killed due to not installing some sort of safety device. And like the ROPS the grab rails provide additional protection not only from roll overs but getting whacked in the head or body from tree branches. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login