Go Bottom Go Bottom

4wd problem

View my Photos
mscpilot
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-04          118911

OK guys I'm back with another question. I'm still trying to find the problem with my 4wd. I have eliminated the dual axle as a problem. So at Chips suggestion, I used my FEL and lifted the front end off the ground and with help tried to spin the front wheels in 4WD. They turned with ease and I can only assume this is not right. Also when I am under a heavy load I hear grinding in the front underneath. SO a call back to Chip and his suggestion is to look into the front axle for a broken gear. This is were I need suggestion and ideas, I plan on taking the front end apart in two weeks so I have time. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4wd problem

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-04          118940

If you're still talking about that AgraCat 2920 problem you wrote about last month, please restate the problem and list ALL the steps you've taken so far. This will avoid an unnecessary game of 20 questions here, and we won't waste time making suggestions you've already tried.

//greg// ....

4wd problem

View my Photos
mscpilot

2005-11-05          118953

Yes the famous Agracat 2920. OK When I first started using the tractor everything was fine. 4wd worked great and all was good in the world. Then I started hearing a funny grinding sound coming from below my legs. I could not pinpoint the location bacause as soon as I stepped off the gas/clutch the noise would stop. So I started out by looking at the Dual clutch (?) drive shaft at the very bottom of the tractor. Both ends appeared good and in working condition except for a pin that I replaced. I put it all back together again and the noise starting up again. I notice it only when the tractor is under some kind of a load. Wheather that be a FEL load or the tires. So next step was to lift the front end up with the FEL and with the tractor in 4WD and off I tried to spin the wheels. Both turned with ease. I noticed yesterday that when I was showing signs of h=getting stuck in the sand, the front wheels were not helping at all. Everything was showing in 4WD at the time. I checked this and still nothing. Hope this helps explain it better. ....

4wd problem

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-05          118967

First thought at the "noise between your legs" is throwout bearing. If you switch back to 2wd and the noise persists, that might be your problem. If the noise goes away, then you've likely narrowed the issue down to the transfer case.

//greg// ....

4wd problem

View my Photos
mscpilot

2005-11-05          118968

Greg, Yes when I get into 2WD it stops.

4wd problem

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-11-05          118975

Best case, maybe the oil passage between the transmission housing and the transfer case is blocked. Same thing happens very often to the transfer case. It's why I recommend a complete flushing of these tractors when they're new.

First - check for the visible presence of oil on the transmission dipstick. If the level is normal, then open the transfer case drain plug and see what kind of flow you get. If no flow, you're running dry gears in the transfer case. Flush time. If flow, inspect closely for metal fragments.

//greg// ....

4wd problem

View my Photos
mscpilot

2005-12-11          120870

Greg, I found the problem and it turned out to be the dual drive shaft itself. Thanks again for trying. Something tells me I will need you again.
MIke ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login